Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Writing a book on a software product

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleD

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
I'm thinking of writing a book for users of a software package, but I have no idea where to begin.
How do I identify whether there is a valid market for the product?
How do I find a publisher?
What can I expect a realistic time frame to be to get the book written?(I realize this one is pretty dependent on how in-depth the book is going to be.)

Does anyone have experience in this area?

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

You might start with the "Writer's Market" which can be purchased at Barnes & Noble, Borders, Amazon.com, or other booksellers. It will contain information about publishers in various areas (e.g., short stories, childrens, romance) and contact information and other information. I am sure they would include a section for technical writers.

Not sure you can identify an amount of time to write a book. Writing a thesis, you don't say, "I am going to do this paper in 2 months or 150 hours, whichever comes first." It takes as long as what you outline and fill that outline with substance. It would take longer if you include fluff, though.

Good Luck.

One challenge to consider if you are writting about a software product is what version do you cover.

You might spend 12 months writing a book about version X, send it to a publisher and by the time it comes out, version x + 1 is on everyone's machines.

Get on to the beta release program so your book comes out at the same time as new version and covers the new features.

You might also like to contact Apress at
They seem to publish good technical books by technical writers.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

You don't identify the software that you want to write about, but you might also consider contacting the company to see if you would underwrite your project. If your book makes their product more attractive to users, they might help to make all of the arrangements (...and perhaps pay you royalties on increased sales??) Good luck.

Rich
rckatz_usa@comcast.net

Check out the various techwriting sites.
STC, and so forth.
Do a search on "breaking into techwriting" and related.

Obviously, the potential market for the book depends on the popularity of the software and how well the included documentation covers the need, what other books are out there, whether the target audience would even bother getting a book for it, etc.
regards
Jay
(technical writer)

Ah Yes! The joy of writing a book. Like any other product, a book has to pass the personal gut check test. That test is: Do I like it myself? Would I buy this book myself?

If you like the concept and nobody has provided a way to convey the concept in book form, then go ahead.

Some practical things you will need:
1. Book Title
2. Book Cover Illustration
3. UV coating on book cover
4. ISBN Number on back of book. ($220 for minimum order of 10 at bowker.com)
5. Copyright
6. Book price barcode.
7. ISBN Number barcode.
8. Testimonials on back cover.
9. Chapter headings at top of right pages.
10. Book title at top of left pages.
11. Page Numbers somewhere on page.
12. Hardback or softback decision
13. Index at front of book.
14. Foreward by some famous, well respected person.
15. LLC to receive royalties.
16. Book signing sessions at bookstore.
17. Software to write text in.
18. Software to layout text in.
19. Software to layout cover in.
20. Business cards.
21. Speaking schedule to promote book.
22. Good relationship with your family members.
23. Never say die attitude.
24. Specific goal for accomplishing all this.
25. $2000 in cash to pay for some of the above.
26. Dimensions of the book decided.
27. A printer identified.
28. Color paper decided.
29. Weight of paper decided.
30. Material of paper decided.

I have learned this the hard way in the course of writing "The Loafer Principle - The Art of Putting Your Best Foot Forward".

The thing you need the most in order to write a book is people to buy it. If you can find a bunch of them, then write the book.

LoaferMan - There is no practice life. This is it. (Billy Crockett)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back