Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

write query results automatically to file

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanHD

Technical User
Dec 1, 2008
NL
Hello

I’m looking at the following issue
We want to run at night a query in the mssql server (for example as a job), and let the results written to a csv file on the server.
What is the best way to do this?

Dan

When you create the job and fill out the job step info, go to Advanced. In that area, enter a path and file name for 'Output file'.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

hi Bill

this works fine, but one problem: There will be also print some unwantend text and lines into the file, like

Job 'test2' : Step 1, '1' : Began Executing 2012-01-12 22:11:13
----------------
----------------

We need the file as import in another programm.
How can I skip those text?

Dan

I'm not sure you can. You can cut out the (## rows affected) by using SET NOCOUNT ON. But for the rest, I'm not sure of a way in the job to change that.

I've never done this, buy you might be able to save the results to a table and then have Excel query the table for the results.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back