Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write Protected Tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrice

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
I am running Arcserve 9 for Netware on Novell 5.1 SP5. I also have an instance of Arcserve 2000 for Windows running independantly. I need to use some of the old tapes from the Windows 2000 system to complete my set for Netware. However the tapes are marked as Write Protected. I have tried Format, Erase, and Quick Erase but the tapes do not show as available to be formated. The only place I can see these tapes is in the Inventory screen, where they are listed as Write Protected. Is there anyway to get these tapes formatted so I can use them in Arcserve 9 for Netware?

Thanks,

Jim

What model are the tapes and what drive are you trying to put them into? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

If this is a magazine type loader, check the write protect tab on the magazine. It is independant of the tapes. And some magazine like SONY ship new in the LOCKED position.

Phil Gordemer
Manager, Technical Support
CADD Value Corporation

If you are using the wrong tapes in the tape drive, they will also show as write-protected.

"It's true, its damn true!"

I am using an Exabyte EX17A with AIT2 tapes manufactured by Sony, Model SDX2-50C. I have checked the write protect on the tapes themselves and they are set to Record. These tapes both work fine in the Autolaoder designated for the Arcserve 2000 backups, I just can't seem to be able to reconfigure them for the Arcserve 9 for Netware.

Thanks

Jim

Are the tapes you are using for Netware brand new, or have they been backed up to by a different tape drive?

While working with a DLT drive i found that arcserve won't write to a tape which has been formated by a different device. Either reinstall or try a new tape.

hope this helps

The tapes I am trying to use have been used by Arcserve 2000 utilizing the same brand and model Autoloader with the same brand and model Tape drive. The only difference between these 2 systems is that one group of tapes has been formatted and used by Arcserve 2000, the other by Arcserve 9 for Netware.

Thanks,

Jim

I've also used the same brand and model. But the dirves give the tape an ID, thus even if the dirves are the same brand, they will not write to tapes formated by a different physical drive. I suggest trying a brand new tape.

The only other thing i can think of is, that the formatting that arcserve 2000 does is different that the netware version of arcserve 9. /

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Thinking about it more. I am 88.8% sure if you use a brand new tape, it will work.

Cbrider,

Still awaiting the arrival of new tapes. One of the reasons I wanted to recycle some of the old tapes from the NT based backups is my new tapes had not arrived as of yet. I am pretty sure that new unused tapes will work fine. I'll let you know once they arrive.

Thanks,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back