Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write protected media error. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJTaylor

Instructor
Apr 3, 2007
GB
I am a new starter in an It department and have been given the tasks of looking after the backup. One of the servers is running backupexec 9.1 on windows server 2003. The backups however always fail due to the media being write protected and cannot be overwritten even though the media is physically set to allow overwrites. I cannot understand this problem or what could be causing it. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks Joe

Within veritas it gives you the option to configure media pools to have a write protect period set on them. You can go into the settings and change them to have no over write period

Thanks very much. just one more thing. Is it important what level of overwrite protection level i have. setting it to none with prompt won't damage my bacjkups in any way will it?

Hello, i too am having this issue. Could you give me step by step instrcutions on how to make this change please?

Thanks

I don't know if this is the best way to do it but it worked (so far) for me.
I selected the media set i'm using
selected tools->options. Media overwrite options, and removed the media overwrite protection level.
I then changed the overwrite and ammend protection periods to 0 in the properties tab after right clicking the media set. This seemed to work. although if anyone has any better methods or can see any errors in my method please tell me.
Hope it helps

Not sure if im following you correctly but i clicked
Tools - Options and under settings i selected Media Management. I then looked at the settings under Media overite protection level which was set to None.

Under Media Overwrite options its currently set as "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recycable media contained in the targeted media set."

I then clicked on the Media tab and selected the media set - right clicked and selected properties - i now see a box saying Media set periods,

Overwrite protection period: NONE
Append Period: None (greyed out)

and a dropdown box next to it with "Infinite - Allow Append" set.

Is this what you asked me to do? as these options were already set. Sorry to sound so vague but never really used this backup system before. Everytime i insert media it always asks to replace the media.

I did start a thread at but had no response for it so assuming you have the same issue as me.

Thanks

Yours seems to have the same settings as mine. i'm also new to this kind of stuff so its a bit of a case of the blind leading the blind. sorry i couldn't be of more help. hopefully an expert will save both our skins. lol

inventory the tape if nothing important is on it quick format it..

I did that and used a new tape with same results. How can i fully format the tape if there is that option? or any other suggestions to resolve this?

Thanks

Hi!

I'm currently using Backup Exec 11D and had the same problem as you guys.

I solved it this way:
Click on the Media tab and then on the media type that you made.
right click on it and click properties.

then you will find the media set periods
enter the desired overwrite protection period

Hope this is the solution you all are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back