Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Write Protected????? Its Not!!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyT

Instructor
Mar 2, 2002
GB
We've recently installed Backup Exec 9 on one of our servers. It works fine execpt for the fact it won't overwrite tapes.

It keeps telling me that the media is overwrite protected, which it isn't. Settings for overwrite media all seem to be correct.

We currently get around it on this server by re-labelling the media which ain't ideal but works for now.

Help!

Toby T

The only time I have seen this is when there is live data from another backup still on the tape. If the tape image has not expired or met its retention period it will show as "write protected".

Could be this.

How do I check, set or change retension periods?

TobyT

If you are using tapes from another backup software program, or another backup exec installation(even if this was the same server, it is a new installation) - the tapes will go into the Media set backup Exec or imported media - this is normal as backup Exec is just protecting this media from being overwritten because it doesn't know what to do with it.

It's ok Commtec17 put me on the right track.

In the media set the retention period was set to infinite, changed this and all appear ok now.

Thanks for all your help

TobyT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back