Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WRE54G ISSUE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemotek

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
AP
I HAVE A WRT54G (V2.07) F.W AND A WRE54G (RANGE EXPANDER). I COULD PING THE ROUTER AND THE EXPANDER AS WELL AS THE DNS NOS. BUT I COULD'NT GET A WEBPAGE. IF I CONNECT WIRELESSLY TO THE WRT54G I COULD GET A WEBPAGE.

ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE WELCOME...

Can you ping a website or does it say unknown host or could not find host. If so go to DOS and hail "ipconfig/flushdns" and after "ipconfig/registerdns". If that does not work encode the dns on the computer.

thanks for replying.yep i did exactly that. set static IP and DNS nos. with or with out the DNS nos i could still ping it though. this is quite strange. yep i ping yahoo.com (216.109.112.135) i get a reply.

log file

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User1>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [216.109.112.135] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=335ms TTL=49
Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=336ms TTL=50
Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=335ms TTL=50
Reply from 216.109.112.135: bytes=32 time=334ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 216.109.112.135:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 334ms, Maximum = 336ms, Average = 335ms

there is not available firmware update yet for the range expander but I think linksys is cooking up a firmware that would allow the range expander to compatible with WPA

kennz,

Thanks. When I looked at the ftp.linksys site there was an firmware update for the WRE54G but it appears gone now.

That was not a firmware it was actually the setup wizard.

thanks for resposnse guys !

i just had to battle a storm... i had to return the expander to the store and exchange it seems to be working now.

the only thing that i notice now is that my maximum speed is not 54 Mbps but just stays at least 20 - 22 Mbps if i am connected.

Any single radio repeater will cut the bandwidth in half. This is normal.

if i am connecting to the router i get 54 MBps, but if i am connecting to the Range Expander i get 24 Mbps definitely.

does the range range expander, increase coverage on the area, but decreases your connection speed that's what i am observing.

Wi-fi is half-duplex protocol. The WRE54G is doing two chores in repeater mode. The through-put is roughly half the nominal bandwidth with a single radio. This is normal and to be expected.

bcastner,

to bridge or not to bridge that is the question.

so which is better a RANGE EXPANDER or another ACCESS POINT WAP54G configured as a bridge/repeater mode ?

in principle will they have the same speed or just about the 20 - 24 Mbps. speed that we expect?

The WAP54G would suffer the same throughput loss as the WRE54G.

How much greater range is required in your use?

Consider:

. Using third-party firmware that allows you to increase the output power of the WRT54G.

HyperWRT

Sveasoft Satori 4.0 (Make sure you get the G and not GS)

. Different antennas, and/or a home built parabolic reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back