Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WP SP1 vs SP2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam31uf

Technical User
Jan 1, 2005
US
Do I really need to install SP2 for my Win XP? I have heard of it causing problems with applications, etc.

In my personal opinion I have only had two issues with service pack two and that was with regards two nortels contivity client and intels wireless card in the Dell D600 laptop. The second issue involving symposium and the pop up blocker.

I have deployed SP2 to over 4000 machines and am yet to see a single major issue.

In my mind, it is an absoloute neccesity

I believe that the MS site does or did have a list of all third party applications that have issues with SP2

You need to install it:

. because it protects you better than previous versions;
. because it protects others better than previous versions.

I do not want to share the internet with you if you do not stay current with antivirus, antitrojan, antispam, and antispyware releases from you OS vendor.

Your secure, and happy, use of the internet will surely become compromised at times in the current climate of malware everywhere. But you can fight the good fight, and should, both for your sanity and mine.

If SP2 poses an issue for you, ask here. I will remind you that:

. there are a lot of workarounds, and very clever folks here that can help;

. SP2-related support incidents at Microsoft are free of any charges: thread779-923312

Go for it.

Best,
Bill Castner

OK I installed SP2 and now my computer takes forever to start up and when it does it keeps restarting. I never get a chance to login.

Now what?

Does it matter that I dont get that stop error message? Plus I dont think i put any tv thing on my cpu.

TV media is malware.
Hit F8 at startup to get the boot options menu, and choose to disable the automatic restart on errors.

This should allow you to see a full blue screen error message.

Hi Bcastner, your post about why install SP2 deserves a star.

Nice day

JFBouchard

Hope this helps. Please let know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

ok so I uninstalled SP2 and went to the microsft instructions above and did the update and then I went on to install the adware TV Media removal tool.it told me that I didn't have that on my cpu. Now why do you think my cpu keeps restarting after I instaled SP2? This is the 2nd time I have tried installing this and it did the same thing last time except that time I reformatted and started over. I DO NOT want to have to do that again.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

It is important that you look in Event Viewer for an explanation of the reboots.

I did this and I must admit this might be getting in over my head. There were 4 different types of errors. One about the BIOS accessing the hardware concurrent with the operating system, one about the Service control mgr where other services have to be running beofer this one will and it wasnt, a dcom error, and the Stop blue scrren.

What part of my cpu does the BIOS belong to? It says to contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS.

The BIOS belongs to the computer manufacturer, and is independent of the processor manufacturer.

So if you had an Intel P4 from Dell, you would call Dell and not Intel.

well I have had it rebuilt, so I dont know who the manufacturer is. What am I looking for?

ran belarc and it says my BIOS is Award Software Intl Inc 6.0 PG 11/18/2002.
Is this what I am looking to get an upgrade on?

If you can, yes.
You likely need the motherboard information as well. See my second to last post.

ok so I had to upgrade my BIOS and I did that. the guy said somethig about my old BIOS wasnt ACPI copatible and I need that for SP2. So now that its updated, can I install SP2 without worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back