Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would you choose WebFocus again? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lschaffer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2004
US
I apologize if this post is inappropriate for this forum. I am evaluating WebFocus for our organization. Looking for feedback from current users. Compared to other offerings, would you choose WebFocus again?

Ischaffer,

we have found WebFOCUS to be a great tool with a great deal of flexibility and functionality. It also makes a great bridge from client server to MVS mainframe. I have found nothing yet that webfocus can't do better, faster, cheaper than other software. Plus product support is very good.

kdkerp,

Thanks for the feedback. How long have you used WebFOCUS? How did you learn to develop for it? What training would you recommend?

I've been using WebFOCUS for almost as long as it has been out...and FOCUS since the early '90s. There's no other business intelligence tool that has the capability, adaptability, and flexibility that is in WebFOCUS. I am a consultant and use this tool by choice. As far as training, IBI has some good courses but it always helps to adapt the training to your specific needs.

I would be happy to discuss this with you personally.

Best regards.

I've recently been asked to look at the Hyperion BI solution as a possible replacement for our WebFocus. Does anyone have any experience with the Hyperion BI...? I'd appreciate any comments good or bad...... Thanks

We are considering WebFocus. I'm curious to know why you are looking to dump WebFocus and switch to something else.

My organisation has a fairly large Webfocus installation servicing about 700 users in 6 companys who are all external to our organisation. Webfocus has been a terrible choice for us, we're absolutely despitrate to drop it.

The support is very high, reliability is shocking, we have 3 full-time admins for it and a list of defects oustanding with IB as long as my arm!

I think Webfocus is probably a good product for smaller organisations, and running in a controlled (ie. Internal) environment, but it simple falls to its knee's when you scale it up.

We've got over 15 different systems from Cognos, Hyperion & SAS, and I think the only one that will handle our requirements is SAS.

I think you need to scope your requirements and choose your software accordingly. Just keep an eye on your future, you need to plan you needs not just now, but what will your needs be in 5-10 years.

Our company does not have any problems with WebFocus, although it is mainly an internal tool for us and not for our customers. We have probably a couple hundred users over the entire country, and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back