Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would like to block exchanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

QofJennica

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
US
We recently took a look at our phone bill and found people calling a scam that is in our area code but it is in a pay per use exchange. It was sort of like 555-rent. How would I go about blocking 976,556,555,554 exchanges? Is this what I've been reading about where you program the switch to deny in ld 90? Is there an easier way then manipulating every NPA?

No that is the easiest way I know of. Just make sure that MXSD is set to at least 1000.

I think john or someone out there has a script that you can run for changing NPA's.

best way to block any exchange.
ld 90
out
net
ac1
npa
1xxx
npa
1xxx

ld 90
out
net
ac1
npx
npx

etc

if the npa (1plus) or nxx (exchange) is not in your ld 90, you get a busy if you dial it.. i don't use a script for that because it's to easy to keystroke. if you have a list of numbers (100 or so) post it and i'll compile a script that will take them out.. any questions just ask, ther is a lot of techs here that can help with that one

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I did what you suggested which seemed right but it's still letting the call go through I'm not getting a fast busy. I'd paste what I have in my system but the virtual terminal won't let me copy and past text even though it says you can copy

If you only need to block certain NXX's in an NPA
REQ CHG
Cust x
FEAT NET
TRAN (AC1 or AC2}
TYPE NPA

NPA XXX or 1XXX
RLI return
SDRR DENY
DENY enter NXX's to block one at a time (976, 555, etc)
DENY return
SDRR return
ITEI return

NPA return to end or next NPA to change

But wouldn't I have to put those exchanges in the deny field for eeeeeevery NPA I have in the system...

what are you trying to block? if i block 222 976, then i would add the deny 976 to each npa. if you just out npa 1976, then i out npa 1976, and don't use deny blocks.. explain exactly what numbers you are trying to block. i will try to help get it right the 1st time

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yes, you would have to change it on EVERY NPA. It would be easier to use Procom and write a script to do this.
Make sure that the MXSD, Max SDRR, in ESN data block is at least 1000.

Our area code is 609, all people need to do is dial i.e. 9 for an outside line then 555-9999 or 554-rent and we're charged $10 per call. But I think you pretty much said the same as mluckie where I would need to deny 555, 554, 976, 556 for every NPA. If there is a way to script this how would I start to attempt this task? Sorry still a bit of a newbie was thrown the phone project from scratch, it's been a year but it's definately a learning process...

since the call is local (nxx) you just need to remove nxx 544, not a script issue. if you need to deny xxx 554 for all exchanges build a script that modifies each area code. if we had the same area codes i could post the script. if you have all possible area codes ( 200 thru 999) i can post the script on a single page..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I took the 4 exchanges out of NXX and it seems to have worked....what are the implications of what I did? I'm assuming it only denys the 544, 555, 556, 976 calls only in my area code...

That is correct if all calls in your Area Code are still 7 digit dialing. If, however, you have 10 digit dialing, or someone dials 1+ the NPA, you will need to put those exchanges in the sdrr deny.

your right, outing a nxx removed that number from just your area code

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I think we'll be ok with that for now. These calls are far and few between and they have only been in our area code recently. Thanks for all your help. I have a much better understanding of how NPA and NXX work

just hope you don't have anybody in that NXX that you need to call as you have blocked all 10,000 numbers in that NXX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back