Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation user privileges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardog25

Technical User
Oct 24, 2003
US
I have several users who need to be able set the time/date on their workstation. Currently, as they are logged onto the windows 2000 domain, it does not give them permission to do that.

I've heard that you can do this with privileges somewhere, but I can't figure out where. Anyone know?

Making them a Power User on the local workstation will give them this right, but you may not want the added baggage that this brings with it.

If all that you want them to do is to beable to change the system time, then you can modify an existing GPO or create a new GPO that will grant the User Right "Change System Time" and apply it to the OU where the users reside that you want this to apply to.

If you only want it to apply to a subset of the users in a given OU, then put those users into Security Group (Local Domain, preferably) and use GPO Security Filtering to allow it to apply to only that group.

MServerMVP

Is that the setting under Computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/local policies/user rights assignment?

How come it doesn't ask if you want to disable or disable, it just asks for users or group names.

So i created a new GPO. I also created a new domain local group and added the users that need to be able to change their clock settings. then i went into the GPO and under that setting listed above, i added the group that I just created.

At the moment, the GPO is linked to our domain. it is our only domain and since we are a small company, we have no OUs.

What else do i need to do, cause it doesn't appear to be working yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back