Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation Time not synchronised with Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikchick

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
AU
We have one Netware Server 4.11, time and time zone settings on the server are correct, however, the workstation time is about 5 hours behind. When I run systime, it synchronises with the server but when I log in again it changes back. In login script SET_TIME is ON, client (3.21) time settings are correct and so are bios times. I don't know where else can it be getting this time from - Any ideas ?

You are using client 3.21 is this on a 95 machine??

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Sorry - no they're all running 98.

The Client for 95/98 is the same - what version of the Novell client are you running? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Do any other workstations have the problem? Do you have the server at sp9? I would also update the NetWare client to 3.3(sp3). When first logging in does the time change to the server time then drift?

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

When you referred to your Time zone setting being correct, were you referring to the Windows95 Time Zone settings, or the NetWare Time Zone settings?

Check the following option in the Advanced Settings of the NetWare Client32 properties...

SET STATION TIME to ON

The default is OFF... make sure that you turn it on!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replys - Answers are as follows -
It is on all machines and they are identical as we use Norton Ghost to image the machines, i.e All Win 98 & client 3.21. I've tried updating the client on my machine to 3.32 but same problem. When logging in, it goes straight to incorrect time doesn't take the time from the server at all. Have checked client settings i.e Set Station time is on. Server time and time zone string are all correct. This one has got me stumped !!

Is the time correct on the pc before logging in? If it is then after is 5 hrs off it would point to time zone settings as salserocito indicated. At the server console type "time", is it correct? If so, look at the "Time Zone string:" it should be set to your time zone. Compare it with the pc's.

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

I had this exact same problem 2 weeks ago when I reinstalled NW4.11 and it drove me crazy for a week. The newer Novell clients take the UTC time when logging into server instead of the actually EST time. Check out Novell TID 10012027 and TID 2908587 and this will clear it up and correct it for you. Good Luck

I am having a similar problem on windows 2000 professional. I am logging into novell using the 4.71 and 4.8 client and my time is off by up to 10 minutes. Is there a utility that I can run at startup that will synchronize the times. I do have the setting in the client "Set Station Time" to "On". Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back