Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation Screen Savers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmegan

Programmer
Aug 29, 2005
US
Hi all,

This is for Micros 3700 systems using WSLX and WS5a workstations.

Does anyone know how, or if it's even possible, to set a screensaver through CAL? I'd like to replace the bouncing WS5a and WS4LX images with our restaurant logos. Going through one by one is, although tedious, an option. The problem is that when technicians replace the workstations or wipe the flash they revert back to factory defaults.

Thanks in advance

Create a new CAL package and put a default.bmp in it and a setup.dat in it.

Setup.dat
Code:
NAME,WS5ScrnSaver,
VERSION,1.0,
TRANSFERFILE,default.bmp,\DOC\Scrnsaver\default.bmp,

That should work.. I don't have a workstation to test it with, but if you add that to the installation package list it should do the trick.

Thanks, i'll give that a shot today.

FYI, I also added a line to the setup.dat to remove backlight control. As an alternative you could increase the Backlight timeout to prevent screen from going black after x minutes. (I got unnessisary calls that terminal was down...Because screen was black.)

#######
# Change registry - turn off backlight control
#####################################
SETREGISTRYDWORD,Software\Microsoft\Shell\Screensaver,BackLightMode,3,

You could also do what we did - setup the screensaver how you want it and then export the registry key for the screensaver. Then my CAL package overwrites the entire key when it installs the screensaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back