Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation locks up accessing Netware drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

garylw

MIS
Dec 1, 2000
US
Applied Service Pack 2 to our NetWare 5.1 servers this past weekend. Since then, two of our sites have experienced a problem with accessing a Netware drive. In Windows explorer, if they click on a Netware drive, their workstation locks up tight. Have to power it off. The utilization on the server during this time is usually between 75-80% and stays in that range. No errors on the server, everything else still functions, i.e GroupWise, Virus Protect, etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks....

Hmmm, have you looked at support.novell.com for any tids relating to this particular issue? This is the first time I have heard of this so I can not offer much help... Let me ask around and see if our guys have encoutnered anything..

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

The problem with are experiencing is related to NW51SP2. Novell has taken the patch off of their website. The problem stems with directory services outbound synchronization. Support is telling me to take SP2 off.

Hi Garylw,

If you have anti-virus software on the server and it is set to scan both inbound and outbound files this can happen.Try adjusting it to scan inbound files only and see what happens

Chris

Hope this helps!!

Hi Garylw,

Another suggestion is to turn off "SLP active discovery" and "use dhcp for SLP" in the advanced tab under the properties of novell client for NT. Also in the same place you could reduce search timeout values for:"Give up on requests to SAs", "Name resolution timeouts", and "wait before giving up on DA". I had the same problem , but it happened mostly when i tried to save or open documents in Offce97.

Chris

I would also highly recommend you run a DSREPAIR on the server you are having trouble connecting to. If it shows errors, run DSREPAIR on all servers in the tree one at a time. For any that show errors, run DSREPAIR again till all run clean.
Often a corruption in the Directory causes problems reading the "rights" for the drive.
Dan

The problem with the lock up is being caused by file caching on the file server. At the command prompt issue the following command: Set client file caching enabled = off, it seems to resolve the issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back