Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation freezes when using MAS 90

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmons

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
Hello,

One of my library staff says:

"My workstation freezes often when I use MAS 90. For example, if I'm in vendor inquiry and want to look at an invoice, as soon as I hit the "invoice icon" some of the template data and information goes blank and my workstation freezes."

Where / how do I begin to solve this problem?
What other info would you need in order to provide me some guidance?

Thanks!
emmons

are you using windows? what version? when did this start? suddenly? how long have you been using mas 90 on this pc? if you're using windows, when you bring up the task manager, is Mas 90 not responding? did you perform any recent upgrades (or patches) to windows or Mas 90? do any of your other programs freeze on occassion or does this seem limited to Mas 90?

thank you for your reply, I use windows 2000 and this freezing started a few months ago with just occassionaly episodes in mas 90. But now it can freeze up to 10 times a day, and it happens most of the programs I use, even on the net. When it freezes, it does not let me get to the task manager, nothing responds, I have to manually restart. The upgrade that was done was done by our mas 90 consultant, no patches have been done. There are 3 other users working on the mas 90 server and they do not have this problem.

I guess you have probably realized it is no longer a mas 90 problem. There may be some steps you can take to pinpoint the real cause. You may need to set up performance monitoring on that PC in order to find out where and why it's dying. Or, you might need to update that PC (just make sure you have a backup of important docs). In some of the worst cases, I have found junk running in the background was hogging the pc's resources.

Bring up the task manager at any time and compare the processes running on that machine to a good machine (perhaps even your own) running windows 2000. Do you see any funny processes running with strange names?

Also, you might want to post this on the windows 2000 forum as well.

yes I have done all of the things you have mentioned. I think I have convinced my IT people to change out my computer again. (we did do that after a couple of months, but problem still returned) They are thinking about reinstalling mas90 on the server but being that noone else is having the problem it shouldn't have to be. I had a computer programmer out of Spokane monitoring my station via pc anywhere and he also could not see anything unusual. I have remove any and all programs not essential and I run adaware and spybot atleast once a week. I'm hoping changing the pc again will resolve.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions

Do you have a current virus scanner running? If so, and if it does not appear that you have any viruses, try temporarily disabling it to see if performance improves. If it does, at a minimum, exclude the MAS90 directory and subdirectories from the scan.

Where is MAS90 loaded? It is not Mas 200 is it? Is MAS90 on a dedicated file server? What network O/S version? Are you on the same local network as the server? How are you accessing the internet? Dial-up? High speed access through a router on your network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back