Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation DNS Requirement for 2003 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchan

Technical User
Jul 29, 2000
US
Hi. I just wanted to clarify something during my NT 4.0 upgrade to Windows Server 2003. I know that the AD is integrated with the DNS component.

Can the AD use an existing Unix based DNS server or must it use its own. Also, do workstations that authenicate to the new AD need to have the DNS pointed to the 2003 AD Server?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can use Unix DNS (it needs to be BIND 8.7.1 compatible - not 100% sure on that version number) and let it act for instance as slave DNS.

Hmmm, latter one is tricky. I think you can have clients point to your Unix DNS also when it meets the correct BIND level.

Beboen is correct, version number for full support is 8.2.1, It will even support Dynamic updates. If you have an older BIND DNS server pre-8.1.2 you can still use it, but only as a slave or secondary zone. If it is really old like 4.9.1 then you need to check the checkbox in the AD DNS server properties to support BIND secondaries. Basically this turns off fast zone transfers, which is enabled by default.

HTH,

Z

The SRV record support is critical. If the workstation can't lookup the SRV record, it won't even try direct hosting SMB over 445, and reverts to 135, 138, and 139.

Zmann - I want to be able to use an older BIND server as a secondary zone. Like delegate AD.XXX.com to acitive directory. The question I have is, can all the workstaitons still point to the bind server as the Primary DNS server?

Thanks,

Dave websterd13@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back