Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation 6a touchscreen layouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.ski

Technical User
Sep 22, 2015
US
I have a site that was upgraded to Workstation 6a units last summer from some old 4LX units. Database was stepped up to 5.5 but never cleaned up. Old screens being utilized on the new terminals are all stretched out and don't seem to have the correct aspect ratio. So much screen real estate is being wasted by the on-screen receipt. What is everybody else doing, are there new screen templates floating around out there that can be imported?

When we run in to that we have to change the default template to one that matches the resolution, then go through and adjust the button size / layout. For the most part it's not a bad process as long as the screens are using SLU - fo the hardcoded screens like a bartender speed screen it can be quite the pain.

Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

That's my issue. Of all the templates available to me, the highest resolution is 800x600, which is a 4:3 ratio. The WS6 is 16:10 I believe, which just stretches out the lower res templates, in turn creating a waste of screen real estate that I could be using for more buttons.

All the photos I can find online of WS6 units look like they are shown running Simphony and not RES3700.

Following as thinking about upgrading our 3700 system to workstation 6

@Wildbar: I love them. The WS6 were upgraded from WS4LX units. The capacative screens take the staff a little getting used to over the old resistive panels but they are very responsive. They are also really bright, we have a seasonal beer garden and no more struggles trying to view the screens during the day. The singular complaint I have is the screen formatting. If I could overcome this, I would immediately switch out other sites that are on WS5 units.

Side note, I saw in some older threads you may or may not have the getdba utility?

Yes to GETDBA. I would need to post it briefly. Has anyone tried to modify the display config files? Or copy the simphony files and see what happens? Wondering if any could post a simphony display config file if they even exist.

My local Micros reseller hasn’t even been much help on config files, which is what has landed me here. The WS6 and 3700 combo almost feels like it was an afterthought. I was sold super hard on Simphony but because I don’t know anything about it coupled with the pricing, I rolled with what I had and upgraded the database.

I get post notifications. If you post it, I’ll grab it right away. Thank you!

Where are you located? in 3.2 ish the display file was editable. Have not looked at it forever. In the same boat. 3700 since before version 1 but it seems to be forgotten now and support sucks. Simphony we have not priced yet but others have stated its overkill for us as we only have a few locations.

I’m on 5.5 as that’s apparently the lowest version that can run WS6. I deal with a programmer who works for an NYC based outfit. I am in Central and South Jersey. Was at te NYC restaurant show and they didn’t even have 3700 on display!

Have you tried MICROS RES mWorkstation Patch updates some touchscreen
templates so they can be used on the mWorkstation with the default resolution.
You must reinstall this patch if you upgrade from RES 5.4 general release to RES 5.4 MR1
because the 5.4 MR1 installation process overwrites OpsDisplaySys.cfg
Am not sure if it will work for 5.5 but you can try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back