Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstaion back to workgroup, keeping profile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossthebossuk

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2004
GB
Hi
I have a number of workstations which log into a Windows 2003 server which is being decomissioned and the workstations setup as a workgroup.
Is there an (easy) way to keep the existing profiles?

Thanks for any help.

I don't think you will lose the profiles on the workstations. They will still exist in C:\Documents and Settings\<username.domain_Name> on the workstation.
You will probably just have to copy the domain profile to the new profile that gets created for the user when he logs on to the workgroup.

You see when I highlight the domain account on the workstation the Copy To button greys out but if its a local account I am able to copy it.
I'm just worried that I'll have to reinstall and resetup everything after its joined to a workgroup.

Thanks

I rarely use the user profiles tab you are referring to. I'm thinking that that when the user initally logs on to his XP machine using the local logon and not the domain logon, it will create a new profile (let's call it username.local). There should also be the old domain profile on the XP machine (let's call it username.domain). I'm thinking you can log in as administrator on the XP machine, rename username.local to username.old and rename username.domain to username.local.
That should do it.
I've done something similar, but going in the opposite direction - user wanted his old profile after I had joined his machine to a domain. Hope this helps.

Yeah I see what you're saying. I will try that but I'm sure I had problems in the past doing that. Its ok copying different users ie. local to local and domain to domain but not from domain to local I'm sure. Will give it a bash.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back