Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worksheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

visible2you

Programmer
Sep 4, 2011
Hi,

In an Excel file, there are two sheets:-

1. Original
2. ImportedData

I am not allowed to change entire contents of Sheet(1), unless to add a unique and new row from Sheet(2) or vice-versa.

I am allowed to comment on contents of Sheet(1) or Sheet (2) in Column J only on basis of Col A, B and D.

Following comments are applicable: -

Duplicate,
Old,
New,
Updated or
Attached

Lets Imagine that Column J of both worksheets do not exist.

Based on either worksheet, We have to update values in Column J of both worksheets through VBA.

Priority (in order) to update sheets:-

ImportedData {which is Sheets(2)}
Original {which is Sheets(1)

It would mean that we have to start filling J Col of ImportedData Sheet first.

following Definitions apply:

Duplicate: Those duplicate values in Col A, B and D of Sheets(2)
Old: Those values which are same in Col A, B and D of Sheets(1) and Sheets(2).
New: Those values in Col A, B and D of Sheets(2) which does not exist in Sheets(1)
Updated: Those values in Col A, B and D of Sheets(2) which does not exist in Sheets(1) and were updated in Sheets(1) using data from Sheets(2).
Attached: Those values in Col A, B and D of Sheets(1) which does not exist in Sheets(2) and were attached in Sheets(2) using data from Sheets(1).

we call same row as "updated" in Sheets(1) , while we call it as "New" in Sheets(2)?

I hope you can help me know, where did I mention "existing"?
I will explain about "New", "Updated" and "Attached".

[tt]
11111 ABC 1 03-09-2011 Apple 1 Happy Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable Not Applicable [red][highlight]Existing[/highlight][/red]
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I hope you will not mind ...

it was my error ... Existing = OLD

I need some more time. I will post details about "New", "Updated" and "Attached" by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back