Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

workload and busyness

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMissMaya

Programmer
Nov 23, 2011
CA
I'm finding in my new role that you have a lot of times where you are not busy because you are waiting on others to meet their deadlines. It feels sometimes I don't have anything to produce to show all the project monitoring you do. Anyone else find that?

It's hard to quantify that time. MBWA (Management By Walking Around) can be very beneficial, but difficult to describe. Some activities (like Risk Assessment/Reassessment, Budget work, Change Control) can be easily quantified because there is a result. If there's no deliverable, it can be a challenge, but those activities are necessary. If someone questions the value, ask them if they think the project would succeed if that activity were omitted. And you can ask them if they have any ideas regarding how you could track those activities. They may come up with some good ideas, or at least get a better understanding of your situation.

====================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

thank you the feedback johnherman. And LOL BNPMike. This role is new to the company too and so at this point not all projects are routed through me as the sole pm for the department. Which is what I would like to see eventually. I think folks are not used to what a pm can do and is supposed to do.

thanks for the feedback, it helps.

Try to move away from monitoring to solving problems.

You should try and focus on adding value. Use your perpective to identify where there are problems or where problems are likely to occur in the future. Then use your knowledge and organisational position to bring help to bear.

Hi LittleMissMaya -

There is always something a PM can do in order to add value to the team. Whether it's assessing potential risks, reviewing a vendors project plan for possible time saving opportunities, reviewing/adjusting current processes, asking for other projects to fill the gap, etc. This then turns yourself into a PM who is both effective and efficient - making you a valued asset.

The Portal Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back