Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with RAW files

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVH31

Technical User
Feb 16, 2007
US
I have Paint Shop Pro Photo XI, V 11.11. My camera is a Canon EOS 20D. My first goal was to learn about the camera and photography in general. I have never used the RAW format (Canon .cr2). I am able to view the .cr2 photos in PSPP XI but I cannot find any image adjustment tools other than the normal .jpeg tools. I thought there would be a white balance adjustment that could be applied to a RAW file but unable to find it.

Do I need a plugin? Will some one please direct me to a step by step procedure or give me some pointers on how to open and work with RAW files?

Thank you
Arvid

Tools aren't exclusive to image types, Any Adjustment tools in PSP can be used with any type of image. Like Brightness and Contrast, or Color Balance.

Having the image be in RAW format jut means its a bigger file that holds more information than a normal JPEG. But can still be manipulated in the same way as a JPEG or any other type of image file.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thank you for the rapid response. I was under the impression that there was a slider adjustment for white balance that was used exclusively for RAW files. (One of the reasons to shoot RAW) Maybe that is with some RAW conversion program or an adjustment available in Photo Shop.

Arvid

Paint Shop Pro versions below version 10 would open RAW files with options for changing white balance, sharpening and exposure compensation during conversion, but Paint Shop Pro X simply opens the images using the default "as shot" parameters. However Pixmantec RawShooter is included with Paint Shop Pro X, and it's a much better and more powerful RAW converter than the internal version in Paint Shop Pro X was.

So you can use that tool to modify the white balance.
You might find this useful.
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back