Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

working with over 2 gigs of data in Visual FoxPro 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmc1975

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
US
Hello, I am working with over 2 gigs of data in Visual FoxPro 7 which has caused it to crash. Any suggestions as to how I can use FoxPro to process this data despite this limitation? Is there a way I can partition the data and have FoxPro know where to look for it and use it? Any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

nmc1975

nmc1975,

How many records are there (in 2Gb of data) to process and what are your trying to achieve in result?

Peping

Peping, there are 10 million+ records. At this point I'd like to get them into a table to look at first.

nmc9175

nmc1975

The limitation of 2 gigs is imposed by Windows more then VFP. But you can split your table in two or three.
For example spilt your table in two and add a keyfield in the two parts and join them by this keyfield. You could do the same with three splits.

Or move the data to an SQL server. Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

thanks Peping.... re: SQL...I know! Just wished my co. knew... hehehe....

Where is your data coming from?
ie: What format is it stored in to start with that it doesn't get into a >2gb/file problem?

Maybe you could design the DBF structure a little more stringently to have less blank space per record so that the total file size is smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back