Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with MS Clusters

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevHF

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
GB
I am looking into making my ARCserve 2K systems cluster aware and was wondering if anyone has actual achived this yet.
In essence I have several sets of MS clusters around the business, each one made up of two Compaq servers, external tape-drive, ARCserve 2k (SP2+bits) and backup jobs. Each node looks after it's own shared area of hard-disk for load waiting. However when one of the nodes fail (the shared disk area falls over to the other node gracefully) the backup fails (once the server re-boots) because it can no longer see the shared drive (system set up not to automatically fail back but wait for a manual fail-back in case of problems leading to the systems 'looping').
I have followed CA 'ARCserve Cluster Support' document and everything looks ok, but in my test lab if I fail a server during a backup job the other cluster doesn't automatically finish the job - and I do not see how it can.
Any ideas?
Many thanks
Kev

My company currently run Arcserve2k on a win2k server with an exchange 2k cluster. (Active-Active) If failover occurs during the backup-job. It will have to be restarted. The job nolonger see the info store of the failed server. In addition, we currently have a issue with Arcserve 2k backing up any info store above 10 gig. Hve you seen this as well. Arcserve can't seem to fix it.

Clinton
ckinsler@webtonetech.com

Clinton

Thanks for your reply.
If I read your response correctly then what is the difference in setting up ARcserve to run as a Cluster resource or running as standalone?
We do not use exchange so I am not sure what you mean by 'info store'. However we back servers up each one being 80Gb and some holding Access databases of very large sizes (5Gb plus).

Kev

Sorry for the confusion. I assumed you were an exchange user. The Information store is what is you back up using exchange. In addition, When backing up exchange in a cluster environment, the exchange agent has to talk to the host server to complete. since the server has failed over the info store cannot be seen. I apologize for the confusion. Sorry I couldn't help.

Clinton

Back up using the virtual names and not the node names.

DR Shaw

Thanks

Do you mean that in the source process I select through the network? Normally I just select the 'Current ARcserve Server' which obviosly isn't a virtual name. To backup via the network would increase the backup time window enormously.

Kev

Well, we tried this last year on a very similar setup. We spent a week and a half attempting to get this to work but had to give up. In the end we ditched 2k, and got a seperate server to back up the cluster using 6.61. The cluster we have is acyive/passive. We back up the C: drives of each of the clusters and the virtual node also. That way, if the cluster fails over, the backup does not bat an eyelid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back