Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with Images 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalbao

Programmer
Nov 27, 2000
US
Is it possible to export an image in rtf format?

Is it possible to retain transparancy on an image when exporting to .pdf?

If so, how?

I'm am new to this page layout stuff, and am "trying out" Indesign. The built in help files aren't to helpful. Any online tutorials/primers suggestions?

thx

Have you used anything other than ID for layout? (Being a former Quark user, I find the Help files very helpful, I've found about 80% of my questions answered there.) PDF files are flattened so it won't retain transparency, at least not in my experience. If I may ask, why would you want it to? The question of the exporting of an image, sounds like you are trying to use ID instead of Photoshop. Maybe with more detail of what you are trying to accomplish, I could be more helpful.

Ivixen,

No, I've never used any type of page layout tool before. In fact, I've never even done page layout or print before. I'm a total newbie in this area.

Regarding transparency: In tesing out ID, I made a very basic 3 page book - included images and text. I had a couple of the images layered where the top layer had a trans of 30%. When I exported to html, the trans retained, but when I exported to .pdf the bottom layer image was not displayed. And when I exported to .rtf, all images were not displayed.

Being that I'm new at this (and the fact that I couldn't find the answer in the help files), I do not know if I'm doing something wrong or if ID simply doesn't support this.

I'm currently comparing ID with Framemaker. Any thoughts on that subject?

thx

Framemaker is intended for long format documents (books, manuals, etc). ID is more for smaller documents (although it can make big ones too) that require kickin design tools. The design toolset in FrameMaker is pretty thin compared to ID.

You may want to use Acrobat 5 or 6 Reader to view the PDF transparency effects. Acrobat 4 does not display this effect.

RTF or Rich Text Format is really intended for text. You cannot easily export designs this way. ID is primarily for page layout for print. Exporting options for HTML and RTF are intended for very rare use and anything exported will most likely need to be tweaked in another application.

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back