Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working With GoLive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

schalliol

Technical User
Jan 28, 2004
I have some documents in InDesign that I would like to incorporate into a site with GoLive. I know that GoLive supports InDesign packages, but if I do that, I can't seem to get back to the InDesign file if I want to make changes there. I would do that and and send back to GoLive or output in another manner from InDesign. Given how it seems there is a lot of integration between the apps, I think there must be a way. (Please note that I'm crossposting this in GoLive forum)

Any thoughts?

When you say you can't get back to the InDesign file, what do you mean? You can always open it, make changes and update the GoLive package.

Oh, my assumption was that once I made an InDesign package that I couldn't update it with the file used InDeisgn ("the InDesign file" from above), but rather replace it, which I think would screw up the content linked from the HTML page. Are you saying that this can be done? If so, is there an "update" function or do you just basically re-make the package?

You remake the package and essentially replace the content that is linked to the GoLive document. I'll try to get you some more detailed information on this before the weekend.

Sounds great, thanks. It sounds like this isn't an issue, but I just worry that when I update the package will send stories in different places or sever links. I'll look forward to your note!

picklefish, thanks, that movie and the others like it are really nice. However, they don't seem to address the issue of updating on an ongoing basis from InDesign. They do note them as InCopy components, but there's no mention of editing them in InDesign (like if you want to change one word for web & print items).I think Tim is going to get more information on that aspect of this. If I missed that on there, where is it? Thanks!

Do you have the text tagged so that it is properly exported? Are you updating your package from InDesign? This may be what you are missing.

The video example shows one step on how to disassociate the text from updating. Simply do not follow this step.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

I think I see what you're saying now. The problem is that there's just almost no control that you can hav eon a story. My superscripts look to big, my links don't work, etc. I guess I expected that all this would be retained. And if you tell it not to use its own stylesheet, I see no way to even bold a word, unless you disassociate it. Hmmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back