Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangsmic

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
I am having a problem with the legends on my charts. In some of them (bar charts) is total is shown. The legend wants to display, for example "SumOfFieldName". I want to rename the labels in the legend for each cooresponding bar. Any suggestions?

You can rename column headings in the query/queries that make up your chart. Is the chart based on a totals query? In that query, in the query grid in the column where the FieldName is that is being summed, just put a label with the name you want at the beginning of it so the query grid column looks like this:

[red]FieldName:[/red] FieldName
TableName
SUM

I don't follow. The query is based off data in a table, so the field name is fixed. I tried changing the "SumOfFieldName" in the appropriate column in the datasheet associated with the chart to no avail. The help feature in Access is really lacking in support for this feature. Actually, if you look in the help section you will see legends that look the same as mine. "SumOfFieldName".

You are right in that charts are not documented very well.

Go into the query that the chart is based on by doing this:

Open the Report in design view.
If the PROPERTIES window is not alreay showing, right-click on the chart and choose Properties from the shortcut menu.

In the Properties window, click once in the property called RowSource. On the far right, click the build button (the button with the three ... on it). Can you see any field that is SUMMED? If so, you can change the field name like i said above.

If you still need help, from the menu hit VIEW+SQL, copy that code and paste it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back