Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working strictly with smtp/pop3 domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

frdeluca

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2003
US
I have the multiple domain setup working, i.e. multiple recipient policies and what not. My question is how can I use the secondary domains as just smtp/pop3 domains? Our company hosts several websites and domains and I would like to migrate over to exchange server to handle this. Some problems I foresee are that since the users are controlled through AD, what happens in the case of making two separate accounts for two separate domains, but with the same username, (fdeluca@domanin1.com, fdeluca@domain2.com)? How does AD/Exchange handle this? Please bear with me as I am quite new to the idea of multiple domains. Thanks a lot.

frdeluca

When creating users in AD by default an email address is created for each domain for that user with the first domain for the exchange store being the default. You can then delete any of those you wish not to use and/or change the primary email address.

Mike

I'm not sure if that helps me. I need the same username, but for two different smtp domains.

Aren't the messages already in a *.msg file format in the users 'M:\' drive? Just script to copy from M: to the desired location and specify to ru the script at logon or logoff. Should be pretty simple, setting aside any personal differences.

Either I'm completely lost or maybe my first question was misleading? I have domain1.com and domain2.com. There's 2 completely different people, with the same usermane ie. jsmith@domain1.com, jsmith@domain2.com. If I create a jsmith in AD i can change the email to jsmith@domain2.com but I can't create another jsmith and make that e-mail jsmith@domain1.com, or can I is the question.

frdeluca

If I see your problem now the only way around this is to create a difference in the users names. You can't have two logiin users in AD with the same name. I had two here that were the same way and I added a middle Initial to the user name to make them different.

Mike

Thanks a lot - I have it all working now. I was just curious if it was possible to have a same username.

Anyways, now that that is out of the way, can someone explain why OWA only works with users in the primary domain? If the account is created for the 2nd domain, it will ask for a username and password but will then go to a "Page cannot be displayed" page. I have searched the archives here and not found anything that helps.

frdeluca

Add the primary domain as a secondary address. OWA will then allow them in.

Mike

All users can have as many addresses as needed.

Ex. abc@123.com;123@abc.com

They only need one user account and mailbox. By using 2 user accounts there will be 2 mailboxes. All mail will come to their mailbox and they will only need to login into one time to check all mail for all domains.

Mike -

Thanks for that answer - that seems to have fixed the issue. Does that affect anything by having the secondary domain, and also, do you happen to know exactly why that has to be there? Sorry for all the questions, just kind of "forced" in the past week to get this up and running...

frdeluca

Don't know why that is. Could not find the a direct answer but I would venture to say that it is related to AD somehow. I have not had any problems with it as the secondary domain for them would be set has primary account. I have not informed the users that those email addresses exist. And if you only configure the one they need the others are just sitting there with no traffic on them.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back