Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working on CCNA and Need to set up IOS for the first time 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanBKNY

Technical User
Apr 28, 2008
Hello everyone.

My name is Jonathan and I am currently working on getting my CCNA. I recently purchased a decent sized lab off of ebay. Everything works so far so that is good and I was able to get in and reset the passwords and a few little other things. The problem that I am having is setting up the interfaces.

I am consoled in and I would like to be able to hit the tftp server that is on the same workstation that I am consoled in from. Im not sure which interface I need to configure so I basically gave all the interfaces ip's in the 192.168.1.x range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 but I was unable to ping anything?

I know that all of this must make me sound really dumb , but I am really trying here...

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

Bobby

Yes thats pretty much what I have been doing... Now I am getting ready to connect everything together.. Thansk for the post.

How do you manually boot the IOS? Not sure of what you mean...

router(config)#boot system ?

Do that, maczen, and you'll see the different options for telling the router what file to boot from.

Burt

Burt

A quick question. I was just wondering if not having enough DRAM could cause this to happen. After loading a new IOS on a cisco 2505 with 16 megs of Flash,( it was one of the larger IOS verions) this system reloads and then totally crashes. The router only has 2048 Kbytes of main memory. So my question is this,could it be the flash memory that is just not compatible or is it the fact that I do not have enough DRAM to run the advanced IOS.

Yes for the flash that might not be compatible or yes for not having enough DRAM? or both. When I take out the extra ram and load an older IOS that is lets say only 7500k,,, No problems. Anyway I have more flash memory on the way as well as new 16mb of DRAM for all 3 of my 2505's

JW

Burt

I was trying to load both of these

c2500-is-l.123-12.bin

c2500-is-l.122-8.T.bin

but had to setlle using c2500-i-l.121-25.bin for the time being until my new memory arrives.

We have Smartnet on a few of our switches at work so i was going to get a new IOS for the 2500's until I read the disclaimer and then I decided that it would not be a good idea.

Jonathan

The 2500's are EOL (End of Life), so you know what Cisco can do with their disclaimer...lol

Burt

So you think its ok to get an IOS from CISCO for anything that is EOL. I just dont want any problems.

Jonathan

I think so---don't quote me on that. I have acquired IOS files in different ways...for learning, of course...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back