Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working laptop Hard Drive Fails in USB Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangdaa

Technical User
Apr 7, 2011
CY
I was so pleased with the performance of my 80Gb Hitachi Travelstar hard drive in my laptop that when it filled up I purchased a 500GB version. I put the 500 GB drive into a USB enclosure and copied the image from the 80GB drive to the 500GB drive. I then swopped drives.

The 500GB drive worked perfectly in the laptop but the 80Gb drive was not recognised by My Computer - it was however recognised under Disk Management.

I am running W7. W7 advised that the 80 Gb drive had to be initialised but whether I selected MBR or GUID I received the same error message - Data Error - Cyclic Redundancy Check. I put the 80 Gb drive back in the laptop and it worked perfectly. However, when placed in the USB external enclosure, I got the same CRC error message.

I have formatted the 80Gb drive, deleted and created a new partiton. I have run Chkdsk, and Hitachi's Drive Fitness Tool but the drive passed both tests.

I have tried two different enclosures and three different cables but the same CRC error message persists.

The 80Gb drive was an original install in a Dell Latitude D630. Hitachi Support suggests that Dell may have installed firmware on it which would prevent it working properly.

There is no data on it but it seems a shame to waste 80Gb of space.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I ran the Maxtor Powermax program - Advanced test and the "Burn in test". The drive passed both tests.

I am tending to agree that what I need to do now is to connect it to a desktop as suggested. Unfortunately, I am "in between" homes without access to a desktop and will be so for several months. When I eventually get access to a desktop I will post the result here but it will not be for some time.

Thank you to all who have contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back