Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working in a Server Room 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTBC

Technical User
Nov 19, 2003
US
We're moving buildings and my boss has a great idea!

Rather than having an office, I'll be given a desk in the server room to save space.
Could you please let me know any health and safety reasons/legal implications that mean this is a dumb idea.

Thanks guys.

The things I can think of right now:

1. Server rooms are maintained at a humidity/temperature for the equipment, not humans; (Though typically doesn't matter)

2. Our room has a Halon system, which means if the fire alarm goes off - the oxygen disappears from the room.

3. Noise levels - servers are loud (hearing might be damaged over time, though I'm not sure what the actual vs danger levels are);

Hope that helps!

I definately agree with the above, especially 3.

Another that I can think of is this - because you are right beside the equipment, people might expect that you will solve their issues quickly, regardless of what work you are currently doing.

On the flip side, most server rooms have some kind of lock system for only those workers that specifically need access. You won't get bugged by the causal co-worker at your desk, AND because of the noise factor, you can say you didn't hear the phone ring. I kid of course.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

The reason he'll understand is the continuous need to hire an administrator. Probably every 3 weeks. If they last that long.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

They're too cold and dry to live in!

P.S: Aren't Halon systems illegal these days?

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

From what I've just read it's illegal to put new systems using halon in - but existing systems do not need to switch over (until the system is activated and the halon is used).

Seems silly to me, should have them all swapped out if it's illegal for environmental reasons...

The question is - does the replacement also work by removing oxygen from the air? If so, then it's still a concern against working permanently in the server room.

Fire needs three elements to prosper; fuel, oxygen and heat. The most common extinguishing agents like water, carbon dioxide, dry chemical and foams attack the fire physically, deprive the fire of one or more of the three critical elements needed for propagation. Halon differs from all other extinguishing agents in the way it puts out the fire. It offers some of water's cooling effect and some of carbon dioxide's smothering action, but its essential extinguishing technique lies in its capacity to chemically react with the fire's components. It actually interrupts the chain reaction of fire -- a process known as 'chain breaking'"

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Back to the question at hand, maybe you could you just give your boss a demonstration as to why you can't use the server room. Tell him/her you need to schedule a 30 minute meeting with him/her. When the time comes for the meeting, simply take your boss to the server room, pull up a couple of chairs, and have a nice little chat for a half-hour or so. It doesn't matter what you talk about, just as long as you keep your boss there for a little while.

Maybe then you boss will come to the conclusion (on his/her own) that you shouldn't be in there.

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Good idea ECAR!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I think the latest "standard" is to have a few people in the server room as possible. This is primarily for change management, but obviously there are other very good reasons to keep personnel out of the server room.

Definitely agree, im happy to work in a server room all day if work requires it. Racking/stacking etc. I would not reccommend it for a "regular occurence" definitely liking ECAR's idea. Im sure one desk one make a difference to your employer :p

===

AJ - (Formerly FatmanSuperstar)

If it helps I can't hear pages in my server room. So when I am in there if someone is trying to get my attention they typically go unheard until I'm out of there.

I think it is a great idea to be slotted to work in the server room, if you are bucking to work from home. It will prove to be an unworkable environment, and if no other alternate space is available, home workplace is a great option to suggest then.

Other than this, look for some noise cancelling technology. I have heard they work, but do not have any personal experience with them, but have seen them in counseling/mental health facilities to increase privacy. Also, request a little heater fan to keep yourself from freezing, and have them put the room thermostat on the opposite end of the room from your desk.

On the bonus side, you might not be able to hear your phone ring, your door may be locked by default, you can report any and all alarms to the proper IT person regardless of their validity or severity, Server room work days for IT would mean you do not have a place to work, so you may get the day off.

Man every time I step in there I get someone coming in to scare the bejesus out of me cause they find it funny (so loud and I usually have my back to the door).. I tell ya what, one of these days I am going to have one of those knee jerk reactions and take out our low hanging tape drive. Thatll learn them.

I would have to say that working in the server room full time is a very bad idea. Asside from the always cold, loud noise issues which have already been mentioned.

What if you need to get a drink of water. You can't have it at your desk. And the constant wind from the AC is bound to make you sick quickly.

I like the idea of having a 30 minute meeting with your boss in the server room. I bet he/she doesn't like more than 10 minutes.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

I know at one time I had a server rack in my office. A 10'X 14' room. I had 9 servers, and a bunch of PC's in there. The room was not equipped to handle the added heat, and I constantly had the window open. Not just that, but we did have a fire alarm one day, and wouldn't you know it, I didn't hear it. Luckily, my supervisor came and got me. As far as the noise, there was no way I could hold a communicable conversation in that room without people thinking it's a screaming match (yes, I did get those questions), and shortly after, I decided to find greener pastures.

Excellent idea about the 30 minute meeting in there. As mrdenny estimates, 10 minutes.

Our server room gets too hot to actually work there at times even with the dedicated air conditioner. Make sure it's a hot day inteh server room when you call him in to the meeting.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Non-essential personnel (read: people who don't actually maintain the servers) are not permitted in our server room. Period. It's part of our physical security measures. My access card gets me almost anywhere in the building, but not there. That access restriction might also be required by Sarbanes-Oxley and/or HIPAA (not 100% sure on that, though).

There is a separate office with glass walls that overlooks the server room, and, again, only the network ops folks (along with upper management) can get in there.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Being in the server room would also expose you to a lot of electromagnetic radiation. Over time, this could cause a lot of problems. You may want to bring that up to your boss. (That's something you could talk about while having that "meeting" in your "office")

[monkey][snake] <.

monksnake said:
Being in the server room would also expose you to a lot of electromagnetic radiation. Over time, this could cause a lot of problems.

Whoa, there...
Is living under power lines harmful to your health?

As to such stuff as wireless networks, the power level on them is much less than a watt - hardly worth talking about. 240VAC at 50 or 60 Hz puts out essentially no radiation. And even higher voltages (up to several hundred thousand volts) have not been conclusively shown to cause health problems.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back