Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup to W2000 server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowley58

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
US
Hi,

I want to convert a workgroup comprising peer w2000pro and xp pro workstations to a W2000 server and client setup by adding a Server computer. I will have 7 server access licences and be running Terninal services via the W2000pro workstations.

This will be initially a very simple network - if there is such a thing. I've been reading bits and pieces about DHCP, WINS, DNS, NETBIOS and I admit to being bemused by it all.

Now I'm a w2000 server novice and my question(s) is:

Can I plug the server into the workgroup and then transfer the workstations to a domain in a piecemeal manner?

The network is connected to the internet by an isdn line, broadband not being available yet. Do we really need a firewall?

At present we use manual daily backup to CDRW. It would be nice to auto backup tp Dat - any suggestions?

Suggest a good readable book about server 2000 management to me (no - not Harry Potter :eek:)

John..

Alot of questions.
1. You can put a server on your network without a problem and join the workstations to the domain.
2. From memory if you have your server on the WAN you will not be able to have a DCHP b/c it will cross over IP address ranges. Ie the computer starts up broadcasts to find a DHCP server and cant find it due to no gateway.
3. It seems that your connection transverses the internet. Best to have a firewall to stop persons accessing your data. THis is where it may get a little tricky you could have one machine dedicated as a gateway with has a VPN (Vertial private network)joining your two sites. If you are transversing the net for authentication to the WK2 box then you open yourslef to persons reading your Username/password.
4. Work out the size of the data you want to backup and how big it is going to get in a year. The last thing you want to do is get a DAT and 20 odd tapes only to find out that you outgrow it in a short time.
With your current questions if you have a sponge like brain then you might want to start with the web and then onto one of those Rider books.
My suggestion would be to get a techie in to show you how it's done OR stay with TS as it's a light weight and is perfect until you try to print.

...is perfect until you try to print.

i hear that. i have 3 locations across the country TSing into a fourth, each having one or two printers at their location. all drivers are loaded on the Tserver, and i'll be darned if it's ever easy to get your printout to the right city. nevermind the fact that things misteriously change if they log in a second time.

Remember that the domain is used for centralised administration. If you have 3 or 4 clients per site and you are not planning on increasing size, documents are held locally and not shared it might be worth having a work station sharing documents to other workstations.
You want to give me a layout of your network, ammount of users that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back