Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2011
US
I have three computers connected to a switch, Cat 5, RJ-45. Two Win98's and a Win ME. All 3 have a specified unique IP address, the same workgroup name, and the same subnet mask. Win98 machine 1 can map a drive using the computer and share name to both computers. Win ME machine can map a drive to Win98 machine 1 using its IP address only and the share name. Win ME machine can't ping Win98 machine 2. Win98 machine 2 can't ping Win ME machine. None of the three have the Workgroup name in Network Neighborhood. No matter what I do I can't get a nice Workgroup with all 3 machines playing nice and seeing each other. Any ideas?

Enable file and print sharing on all the machines. Install Netbeui on all the machines. I hope this helps.

NetworkNewB = Me (registered)

Thanks for the reply. Like I said 1 W98 machine can map to both of the other computers. File and Print Sharing is enabled. NetBeui installed. I'm thinking LAN announce or Browse Server settings but I don't know what these should be. And the ME machine is unable to browse the network at all, however it's able to map a drive to one of the 98 machines by using \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\(sharename). It's very odd and had me frustrated to death until 3 AM a couple nights ago.

I'd say it was a subnet mask issue if you didn't already say that you had checked it. I would suggest posting this question under the Win95\98 forum. It gets a lot more traffic and maybe somebody else can come up with a solution for you.

I had a similar problem with a Win ME machine. Our only solution (after having really tried *everything*) has been to reinstall Win98 in place of WinME.
I anyway hope you don't have to do the same. What I can suggest you is to try this:
- give all the three machine a new Workgroup name, making sure is the same one for every machine, and reboot;
- remove & re-install the TCP/IP protocol;
- remove & re-install the network card (I mean logically, in the Network Properties panel);
- check for any IRQ and/or I/O address conflict;
- check cabling, hub or network card.

Thanks I'll try reinstalling everything and see what happens. I was contracted by a small office to set this up for them, and luckily for me the computers that can see each other are the ones they wanted to network together. As far as they're concerned everything is perfect. But me knowing everything isn't perfect bothers me. I've gone under the cover of night twice since and think I really have tried everything, except reinstalling networking hardware and software from the ground up.

Hi Tadam,
If reinstalling does not help try next.Go to NIC properties
and select 32-bit driver, infact try to change all combinations with drivers.LM value serves for Lan Manager
OS and you dont need it.Browser master is value that defines wich computer will carry netbeui list of workgroup resources.My advice:Set one to enable, second to automatic and third to disable,it is best combination.If you set all of them to automatic or enabled comp will get "fight" about
who will carry a list and you will need to wait for long time to see anything in Network neig.
Also try switching cables in switch to see is there any diferencies, but it should not be the problem.
Also try getting some new 3c905c-tx-m drivers.I have same nIC and had problem that i could not see anything outside my "tower".New drivers helped to Compaq desktop.

Hope it helps! Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

Simple stuff first,

Be sure you have link lights on all nic's. If not, check cables and
connections. Substitute cables. Try another port on the hub or switch.

Can each machine see itself in network neighborhood? If not, check
all networking settings.

On each machine, ping 204.0.0.1 to test protocol stack. If any machine
doesn't get a reply, you have a protocol issue.

Then ping each machine's own address. If you don't get a response,
you have nic or cabling problems.

When all machines see each other in network neighborhood,
try map your drives from there.

Hope the simple stuff first helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back