Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WorkGroup Not Accessable

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeggman98

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
I did some reading on other posts regarding this problem but it didn't seem to help.

I am trying to network an Win2000 machine to a WinXP machine over TCP/IP through a Buffalo Airstation. I can connect to the Win2000 machine through the WinXP machine just fine. The Win2000 machine will see the workgroup but cannot access it. I can ping the WinXp machine by IP as well as name but then I tried net view \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and get System error 53 has occured, The network path was not found. A previous post with the same error suggested hardware problems but I assume that it is not hardware since I can access the Win2000 machine with WinXP machine.

Both machines have the same workgroup name and IP range? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I actually have the reverse problem... XP sees little other than itself...

Sorry this isn't helpful EXCEPT that I am suspicious of the XP

JF

Try and create user names and passwords that are the
same on both machines (if you haven't done this already).
Also, if you have firewall software running, make sure
that you have both the ip and subnets entered into both
machines.

Most problems of this type with small networks are overcome by using NetBEUI (especially on Workgroups). NetBEUI is not supported on XP, but comes on the XP CD with a "good-luck" card.

Simple stuff first - enable win2k guest account. File & printer sharing up and runnin? Can you map a drive on XP, etc.?
Sometimes the little things are the ones we spend the most time trying to figure out "wtf is wrong with this P.O.S.!?!?" hehehe :)

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

im gonna stick my neck out on this one - i think this will fix it:

1. Right-click My Network Places and press Properties.

2. Right-click the appropriate connection and press Properties.

3. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press Properties.

4. Press Advanced and select the WINS tab.

5. If you have a static IP address, select Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. If you have a DHCP-assigned IP address, select Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server.

Hope it works! pbxman
Systems Administrator

doh..I need to eat - im not thinking completely here..

reboot all workgroup computers after this change to force a browser election.
(sorry) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Sorry I haven't posted back in a while but I had forget I posted a question here and used an old email.

I tried everything above except for NetBUI which I tried to install but Toshiba ships without a true XP disk.

I think it has something to do with the wireless connection. I have had both computers hard wired together but the moment I added in the wired/wireless router I can not longer access the XP machine which is connected wirelessly.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back