Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup is not accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrr

Technical User
May 3, 2001
US
Sorry for the long description, but hope it gives enough info.

I am having trouble networking a peer to peer lan network using a Linksys 5 port router & Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TXv4)cards and 10/100 eternet cable.

I have 3 pcs that I’m trying to network.
I have shared all devices and have Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on all three pcs.

Pc1 can see all 3 pcs in my network neighborhood and computers near me but,can only access files/drives on Pc1 and Pc3
Pc2 is the problem pc.

Pc2 cannot see itself in My network Places when queing Computers near me.
The error “Workgroup is not accessible. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.” While logged in as me, which I have administrative rights or also as administrator.

When I log out of Pc2 and log back on as another user, it acts like it doesn’t recogonize my password. I get the Logon Message of “The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again.”
If I type in the same user/password it allows me to log in with no problem.

This pc is an older 233mhz Pentium with easybios recently installed with 20 gig harddrive and 64 mg memory. It takes an extra ordinary long time to reboot.
Maybe there is some other system issues involved.

Pc3 has the error in Entire Network of “Unable to browse the network. The network is not accessible.” If I’m logged in as myself.
If I log out and back on as administrator I can then see all three pc icons in Network Neighborhood. I can access files on Pc3, Pc1 but not Pc2.

Pc1=Win200 Pro ip = 192.168.1.1 pings itself ok Pc1 has a modem and can dial out fine.
Pc1 can ping Pc3 ok but request times out while pinging Pc2

Pc2=Win2000 Pro ip = 192.168.1.2 pings itself ok. Pc2 has a modem and can dial out fine.
Pc2 request times out while pinging Pc1 and Pc3

Pc3=Win95 ip=192.168.1.3 pings itself ok.
Pc3 can ping Pc1 ok but request times out while pinging Pc2.

All three pcs have the same Subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, they all are in the same workgroup “Workgroup” name.
I am not using any domain names because they are on a personal home network for myself.
I have reinstalled the drivers on problem pc2, have reloaded win2k, switched Ethernet cables.

It seems like it's a administrative issue but what else can I check?

Thanks for any help in advance.

ok sounds like the network workgroup is not the same as the others, and u are not on a domain so you have the wrong type of network settings. ether you have a cable problem,
or your network card is not working, or net settings is not correct.. if you need more help let me Know at roya@micro-lynx.com
good luck...
aslo it depends on the os you are using, 2000,98,95

On pc2... what is the default gateway set for? How about the others?

Are you only running TCPIP across your LAN, or are you also running IPX/SPX, NetBIOS or NetBEUI?

And just to verify, are you getting link status from pc2 on the Hub.

Good Luck.

Salserocito,
The Gateway on all three pcs is blank.
I'm only running tcp/ip on all three.
Pc1 and Pc3 lights (Link/Act) blink when trying to access
each other.
Problem Pc2 blinks all three lights when accessing computers near me and finally comes back with error:
Workgroup is not accessible.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Thanks

You may want to implement NetBEUI on these three, which would allow all of the PC's to speak locally.

Its worth a try! Especially if this is a Private LAN.

I've added NetBEUI on all three, rebooted and still same problem pc2 not accessible. I left TCP/IP on each pc along with the NetBeui, is that OK?
Thanks

Yes, thats okay.

Have you tried replacing the NIC in PC2 with a known good one? Or, tried to update the drivers of the existing NIC?

Good Luck.

try this.

go to a dos prompt
type
net view \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is PC2's IP

if it tells you that it cannot find the ip then i dont know but if it shows anything it could be an administrative problem with remote acess or such. if you get a response try connecting to an admin share such as

net use \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\IPC$

net use z: \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\C$
net use z: \\XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\admin$

I tried net view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from pc1 terminal while using problem pc2 ip address and get
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

I do the same command on pc2 terminal and get
The command completed successfully.

I logged out and back in as administrator and try the
net use \\xxx.xxx.x.x\PC$ and get
The command completed successfully.
I then tried
net use z:\\xxx.xxx.x.x\C$ and get
System error 67 has occurred
The network name cannot be found.
I get the same error also when doing the last step
net use z:\\xxx.xxx.x.x\admin$

Thanks for helping.

What of salserocito's suggestion of swapping in a known-good NIC on PC #2? You've mentioned you've tried swapping cables on that PC but you should try the NIC too..

Thank You!!!!!
I swapped the nic cards on pc1 and pc2 and it was the card on pc2.
I purchased a new one and all three pc's can now see and access each others files.
I have only one small problem to deal with, why pc3 which is running win95. I have to log on pc3 as administrator in order to see/access files on pc1 and pc2.

Thank you very much for the help in solving this issue.
I wish I would have swapped out the cards in the beginning.

I know you are over this problem, but I just experienced it myself.

The solution that worked for me was to go to
1. Control Panel
2. Administrative Tools
3. Services
3. Computer Browser

Here I found that the service was set to "Manual"

4. Set service to Auto and reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back