Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workaround global variable size limit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinaof

Programmer
Oct 1, 2001
BR
Is there any simple way to workaround the size limit of global variables in forms? I have an information that may be larger than 255 characters, but I do not wish to break it in small parts, specially because this information size may vary a lot.

thanks in advance for help.
Carol.

I create a package header in my form, with no package body, called GLOBAL. In that I create my global variables for use in the form:

PACKAGE GLOBAL IS
g_global1 VARCHAR2(2000);
g_global2 VARCHAR2(32000);
g_global3 NUMBER;
etc.
END;

Of course, the disadvantage is that these variables are only visible in the current form.

I need the information to be visible to other forms...

Can you pass them as parameters to the other forms? Or do you have multiple concurrent forms passing information between them?

Other than splitting the data into different global variables, the only other suggestion is to write a DLL with a shared memory area that all forms can read and write to at will. And then this will only work if you're running the forms on windows clients.

You may place this package into library and call other forms with SHARE_LIBRARY_DATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back