Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wordpress question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleidia

Technical User
May 4, 2001
FR
Hi Guys

I just wanted to know how difficult it is to migrate a website running ver. 2.8.4 to the latest version of Wordpress.

How many hours will it take for an experienced webmaster who has never used Wordpress before?

Thanks a lot :)

wow :) Thanks jpadie!

Is it possible that a website uses features that work differently from one version to another, thus requiring some code edition/tweeking?

possible, yes.

but I'm unclear as to what you mean. as i understood everything was staying the same save that you were upgrading your WP installation from 2.8.x to 3.0.x.

there is a database upgrade between the two, done automatically. which may make it difficult to roll back. worth taking a db backup first.

all core features will work, however plugins that you used on the old installation may not work on the new. you should check compat on the plugin authors site and on wordpress.org/plugins

feel free to post more detailed questions in the wordpress forum

Thanks again jpadie, that's exactly what I needed to know.

of course, provided that you have a db backup, it is easy to roll back to the previous installation.

if you are moving servers, then the question is different.

nb the easiest way to upgrade is from the admin site - just click on the upgrade link and it will be all done for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back