Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WordLink 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
I have installed wordlink and inserted a couple of goldmine fields into my word document. However, if I toggle over to goldmine and move to a different record, then toggle back to word, the values of the field do not change as expected.

Is there a way to set this up so that the field in Word always displays the active Goldmine data? Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Hello

I don't think so. If I'm wrong, I hope somebody else posts.

I think...(if someone else knows for sure, please correct me)...The Goldmine word link uses DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) to communicate data between Goldmine and Word. This data exchange happpens once, when you initially open Word.

I'm not sure if there is any type of Refresh option within Word. If anyone knows about it, please post.

Thanks
Dave

My boss explained to me that Windows 98 and 2000 handle the field data polling differently. I can't explain it very eloquently but 98 seems to set aside space for the field info to be stored and actively pushes it out to word, where as 2000 is a one shot deal upon openning the document.

Yeah, I just tried it on two of our workstations.... one 98, one 2000 both with word 2000 installed on them.
The 98 machine updated the fields as I switched contacts but the 2000 machine did not.

snakamot,

That explains it then. I distinctly remember the last time I used Goldmine that I was able to do this (with word 98). Now that I have word 2000, I cannot do this. Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back