Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word2003 Printer Default Settings Are At Manual Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have an issue when printing to a network printer from word. If I click on the "print" button, and then go over to the printer, the printer display panel displays "Manual Feed". This is frustrating other users in the department. I found out when opening any word document, and then go to "Page Setup" and then "Paper" tab, the "Manual Feed" is set as the "default". If I change it to "automatically set" then the document prints and no message appears on the printer. I have to do this each time though.

Is there a way to change this so that the default print source setting is set for "automatically select"?

TIA,
Zoey

zoeythecat,

You need to make the changes to the printer properties. IF you have XP you need to go to:
Start/print and faxes
highlight the printer and right click it.
Choose properties.
then General tab and click on print preference
and on Paper/quality tab you should find a the option to change it to an expecific tray where the paper is.

Hope this help. every printer is a little different so just look around.

or... look at your normal.dot

it's probably set for manual feed.

This is strictly from within word. The printer settings already have "automatically select". Several users in the dept print to it with no problem (same version of word). I think I may have found a "default" button I did not check from within the word "page setup" properties.

I'll try that to see if that works.

Thanks for your replies. I'll check onedtent's suggestion

When you change the default on word. It will affect only documents created from the time you make the changes OLD documents will still have the other setup. Maybe that is what is happening?

How do I change it for all documents? I do remember changing the "normal.dot" when I changed the setting from manual to automatically select, but when I bring up a word document, it goes back to the manual feed (unless I change that particular document). As you mentioned, it only happens for that one document that I have opened. Is there a way to do it for all documents?

I tried reinstalling office, but that did not work. What I ended up doing was installing the printer as a local printer and printing over TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back