Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word XP File CacheSize

Status
Not open for further replies.

techas

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
Back in the days of Office 2k if you wanted to increase the Word file CacheSize you had to load Support9.dot into the macro editor, then change your Kb settings and thats it. Well Now that we have the lovely Word 2002 (aka: XP) those setting are no longer contained in Support9.dot (no such file exists) My question is; is there a new .dot template containing these settings, or have they all been imported to the registry. I have searched TechNet and Office Home but I get no valid results when searching for CacheSize/file cache/resource kit cache/ and a host of other search querys. The problem I have been experiencing is the Error message "Insufficiant Memory. Word cannot display the selected font" I have Troubleshooted all the normal issues like corrupt fonts, too many installed fonts, corrupted normal.dot, bad install, and hardware. It's NT 4, on a nt server, if anyone has this info please HELP!

Some real good info on that site, and I like the ideas about renaming normal.dot and turning off autosave and fast save, but I didnt see any place where you reference any reg settings for XP. I have had users check thier Normal.dot files for corruption but I didnt realize it was safe to just have word recreate fresh ones from scratch. My past research into the technet qArticle about the limit of installed fonts got me looking for any too large fonts, or too many installed fonts, but with a limit of 1000 installed fonts with only 263 installed and none of them over 2 megs a piece I'm thinking it's a reg setting for font cache that isnt working well with one of the systems fonts, My last two ideas before I go for a complete reinstall of office on the computers having this problem will be, increasing file I/O CacheSize (If I can find it) and deleting and reinstalling system fonts, what do you think, am I on the right track? remember the only responce as far as error codes we get from Office is the "Insufficiant Memory, Word cannot display the selected font" even with 256Mb sdram.
Thanks again for taking time to read my post Dreamboat,
Techas

In over 4 years of doing software support, I have never found it necessary to *touch* anyone's I/O cache.

Now, just this past weekend I had problems on my own PC. Had to go into hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\fonts

I renamed fonts to Oldfonts and reinstalled the fonts. That took care of my problems.

...and it's not always *safe* to let Word create a fresh one--well, it's safe, but by renaming or deleting a normal.dot, you could be taking the user's customized toolbars and/or macros, etc. However, you can let Word create the new, then use the organizer (under Styles and Macro menus) to copy their customized items into the new normal.dot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back