Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word XP - bullets applied to whole document

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjmast

Instructor
Aug 8, 2003
US
Hi all

I am using Word XP. When I apply a bullet (number or symbol) to one line, Word applies the bullet to the whole document. I then click the Undo button on the toolbar and the bullet is applied correctly and the document returns to the correct format. Does anyone know why this occurs? Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere. Thanks....

Does this occur in all documents, including new, blank docs?

Micky Fokken
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

Thanks for your quick response, MickyJune26. Yes, it occurs in new documents, existing documents and text that is copied/inserted into a document.

There are a few additional things that are also occurring. After I apply bullets to new text and try to use the increase/decrease indent buttons from the toolbar on one line of a bulleted item, all the items above also indent. If I remove the bullet from one line item, they are all removed. Its as if I'm using a Shift + Enter rather than just the Enter key.

Thanks....

Sorry for the delay in responding. When I checked the normal style, "automatically update" was already unchecked. Does the Normal.dot need to be updated? Thanks....

Then it is the other styles. When you apply a bullet or number or something, and it changes the whole document, which style is applied?

Anne Troy
Supercharge your Office Applications:

I'll have to check on that - it doesn't happen to just me. It does happen to other users in the company. So, I'll have to do a bit of research on that. Thanks for the direction....

This isn't a fix to your current problem as such, but may help in the future.

Try not to use Microsoft automatic bulleting/number! Though very useful at first, it can easily go drastically wrong when you start inserting text and adding styles

If you can, create your own bullets/sub-bullets with style names. it'll save a lot of pain in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back