Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksukat

Programmer
May 13, 2004
US
Greetings,
I am running word 2000 as part of Office 2000 professional. Don't remember adding anything new recently.

When I launch word, it opens and just hangs with a busy hour glass. Never gets to the blank document. Same thing If I try double-clicking on an existing word document.

Deleted the normal.dot file, restarted the computer. Tried to launch word and it had the same hanging behavior. Launched word in safe mode (/a) and it opens just fine. Couldn't find a solution so I removed word 2000 (add/remove programs). Rebooted computer and re-installed word. Same problematic behavior

PC is running Windows XP Home.
Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

As it worked fine in safe mode I would say there is a specific setting or drive that is loading that is causing your problem. Elminate items in your startup group untill you pin down the culprit. (MSCONFIG)

--Dan
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Nine times out of ten, a hang on Startup is because there isn't a default printer driver or it isn't set as the Windows Default. WOrd must be seeing a locally installed printer driver to work.

Let us know if that isn't the problem.

Regards: tf1

Well,
this is a home computer. Have verified that the printer is setup as the default. Even "reset" it to be sure.

Problem persists.

If you are sure that the printer driver is up to date and not corrupt, then it suggests a third party add-in that is incompatible with Word or you are using Norton Anti Virus.If you are using NAV, open it and disable the Office Plug-in option.

If not, then see these articles on identifyingyour add-ins:

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back