Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word vs. FrameMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

hademtoo

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
DE
Hello,

I just started as a tech writer at a small company (<20 employees). Their docu manuals generally run 100-110 pgs in length. Up to now they've been using Word. I've noticed with this length they've had problems with graphics and lists.

Question 1: At what point (number of pages or total file size) does it become practical to switch to FrameMaker?

Question 2: The manuals contain a lot of images and embedded lists. Does FrameMaker handle these competently?

Question 3: What is the learning curve for FrameMaker? I am Word competent, but have no FrameMaker experience and would be expected to quickly become an &quot;expert.&quot;

Question 4: Any recommended FrameMaker &quot;bibles&quot; out there?

I just began with technical writing, and the boss is relying on me to make an informed decision re: buying FrameMaker or no. Any advice would be appreciated.

It becomes practical immediately. FrameMaker is stable and offers a great engine for doing manuals. You'll find Frame handles images and lists quite competently as referenced files (rather than copying them into the doc file). This keeps your doc file light and allows editing of the images and lists via their native program and they're immediately referenced.

The learning curve can be daunting, but worth the trip. Get a copy of:

The Masters Series : FrameMaker 6
by Thomas Neuburger
Paperback - 684 pages (January 1, 2001)
Thomas Neuburger/Twelfth Night Books; ISBN: 1930597010

By far the bets book about FrameMaker.

FrameMaker is based on &quot;Tags&quot;, paragraph and character styles. Once you set your style and page layouts, it all goes together quite easily (at least from my perspective). Dennis Hays, Publisher
mailto:dhays@haysdesign.com

Thanks for your help. I think we will go with FrameMaker. Now the question to SGML or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back