Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word trivia: what word has three consecutive dotted letters 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
Extra points for more than one qualified answer.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 23:46 (29Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 16:46 (29Nov04) Mountain Time

Code:
[white]Beijing, Fiji[/white]

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Cool! Now let's limit it to non-Proper nouns and you'll get another star.

[santa]Mufasa
@ 00:17 (30Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 17:17 (29Nov04) Mountain Time

Code:
[white]hijinks[/white]

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Well done. Havanuther star.

[santa]Mufasa
@ 00:33 (30Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 17:33 (29Nov04) Mountain Time

Code:
[white]Hijjrah[/white]

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

Well done Lothario and MakeItSo ! Both of your suggestions are legal since they appear in Websters. Despite "hijjrah" being typically transliterated from Arabic as "hijrah", we'll give you a star since Arabic -> English transliteration is such an inexact science.

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
@ 18:07 (30Nov04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 11:07 (30Nov04) Mountain Time

Code:
[white]nijinsky
Ujiji
Meiji

and for laughs

xviii
xxiii
viii
xiii
iii[/white]

Code:
select word from dictionary where word like '%[ij][ij][ij]%' order by wordlength desc

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Code:
[white]hijiki[/white]
these words are no fun :-/

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]insert funny quotation here.[/tt]

cLFlaVA, anything involving food has to be fun[wink] Have you ever tasted "hijiki"? What is it like?

Esquared: Clever, but proper nouns and Roman numerals are a tad dodgy.

[santa]Mufasa
@ 18:46 (01Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 11:46 (01Dec04) Mountain Time

taken from the really annoying Ali G

"Aiii"

does that count?

ps. do you get Ali G outside the UK?

We Yanks do not have the pleasure of "Ali G" in the US, but I'm sure the Ali-G "Aiii" is similar to the "Flying iiiii" in the classic children's video, "Fievel Goes West", right? We would need to look at the script, however, to determine exactly how many "i"s there are in a "Flying iiiii". [wink]

[santa]Mufasa
@ 17:35 (02Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 10:35 (02Dec04) Mountain Time

For laughs:
There are a few Klingon words:
Code:
[COLOR=white white]jIj="be cooperative"
yuQjIjDIvI' or yuQjIjQa'="United Federation of Planets"[/color]
Q'apla!

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

Beijing has three dotted letters in a row (in lower case). Other words with multiple dotted letters are remijia, bogijiab, pirijiri, kharijite (which are all in W2), gaijin (in OSPD3), Fiji, Hajji, hijinks, Ujiji (where Stanley found Livingstone in 1871), Ajijic and Pijijiapan (cities in Mexico) jinjili (an alternative name for "sesame seed"), ijijimò (Nauruan for the adjective "lean," and Nauruan is a palindrome!), Shijiazhuang (Chinese city).

Niijima and Iijima are Japanese last names; Minoru Niijima is the artist who drew the cover graphic for Edward R. Tufte's book The Visual Display of Quantitative Information [Steve Lawson].

In Dutch, there are jij (you), pijjekker (pea-jacket, although not found in dictionaries), schrooiijzer (upstanding cutting iron for bars, rods), sjiiet (follower of the Shia), snijijzer (cutting iron), uitdijing (expansion), and zijig (effeminate) [Oscar van Vlijmen, René Davids].

In Lithuanian, jiji is an archaic Lithuanian form of "him" consisting exclusively of dotted letters, and kraujijimas is archaic for "staining with blood" [Juozas Rimas].

In Swahili, jiji means "city" and kijiji means a small city or village [Gerald Gathuto].

In Hungarian, jöjjön (meaning "he should come") has seven dots in a row [Maryam Frazer].

--Chessbot

There is a level of Hell reserved for probability theorists in which every monkey that types on a typewriter produces a Shakespearean sonnet.

Guys, how could you forget International Journal of Information Acquisition (IJIA) LOL

ZoomerZ - Do you dot capital letters?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

[off topic because I can't think of an unsubmitted entry]
killerthoughts and SantaMufasa,

We in the US do, indeed, get Ali G. It is aired on HBO (cable television station). The second season wrapped up a few months ago. Also, both the movie (Ali G In Da House) and the television show can be purchased on DVD here in the states.

I can see why you'd consider him annoying, but come on...
paraphrasing from memory said:
(Ali G is visiting a training center for ATF Bomb-sniffing dogs)
[tt]Ali G: What does the ATF stand for?
ATF Officer: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
ALI G: What else does ya sell?
ATF Officer: [blank stare]Um...[/tt]
That's just funny.

[/off topic because I can't think of an unsubmitted entry]

[tt]-John[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back