Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word TOC Style 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
NL
I am looking for a way to right-align my Table Of Content numbers.
I was wondering if you could help me with this.

For about five days now, I have been trying to get this to work, but it won't.
I have changed three of the standard Headings into numbered headings. With their numbers aligned to the right.
Looking something like this:

1. Heading1
1.1. Heading2
1.1.1. Heading3

Now what I'm trying to create is a TOC that looks about the same:

1. Heading1..........................................1
1.1. Heading2..........................................2
1.1.1. Heading3..........................................2

But for some reason when I create the TOC the entire line with the Heading style is seen as a normal textline.
It ends up looking like this:

1. Heading1..........................................1
1.1. Heading2..........................................2
1.1.1. Heading3..........................................2

Could someone please help me?

Thanx,

Remko

Remko,
try this...

-right click your TOC, choose bullets & numbering.
-go to the "numbered" tab and choose your style.
-click the "customize" button on the lower right.
-in the new window, on the left under "number position" choose "right".

You can also align the numbers and the text on this window.

Hope this helps.
Desiree

Desiree,

Maybe I missunderstood, but I think your way doesn't work.
The chapters already have numbers. These chapternumbers I want to align to the right. Word treads the chaptertext, including numbers, as one textline.
Your suggestion just adds another number in front of the chapter. This looking like this:

1. 1. Chapter............................1
1.1. 1.1. ChapterSub.........................2

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for thinking with me on this...

Greetings,
Remko

Hi Desiree,

I'm afraid I can't find a good way of doing this, -basically Word does seem to support it (Word 2k anyway) but I can give you a clunky workaround if you're desperate...

Create an invisible table, with 3 columns and a single row (size the column widths as appropriate at the end).

Into the 2nd column, you insert the TOC, checking the 'no page numbers' option, and aligning left.

Into the 3rd column, you insert another TOC (choose "no" when the replace existing TOC prompt appears), this time with with page numbers, but no tab leader. Then format all except the numbers to be white/transparent.

Lastly, into the 1st column you manually type the chapter/section numbers to match the TOC entries, and align right.

This is a really clunky fudge, so unless you're very hung up on the formatting you describe, then I would just accept something different. The really bad news, is that you will have to reapply some of the formatting (such as the text colour) each time you update the TOC contents.

I have a large document in a similar position, where I customise the TOC - I just don't bother for all the working copies, and then just format it right at the end when it's complete.

Hope that helps, Jonathan Challis
IT Manager

Thanks for the help, Jonathan.
I was afraid I would end up with something like this.

The idea I had was just to recreate the functionality of the TOC by using textfields, styles and macro's. It's a lot of work and not really worth my while... So I'll just leave it at this...

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back