Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word TOC not indenting correctly when converting to pdf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodo

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
US
Using Word 2003 and Adobe 7 Professional.
I have written an application and want to create a help guide for the users. I want the words FORMS and REPORTS to be main headings in the Table of Contents in Word. They both have several subheadings. I've done this part and it works correctly. When I convert to pdf, REPORTS becomes a subheading of FORMS.

Note: FORMS and REPORTS are both HEADING 1. I did center and bold HEADING 1. The subheadings for FORMS and REPORTS are all HEADING 2 with a few modifications as well.

The question is, why does REPORTS become a subheading of FORMS and how do I fix it?

jodom
LUCK - WHERE PREPARATION MEETS OPPORTUNITY!!

Hello Jodom,
Can we go back and look at the word doc?

When you applied a built in style (Heading 1), and changed the attributes (center and bold) – It may not convert correctly.

I would suggest creating your own style in word. Find a block of text that contains everything you want it to have. Format, Styles & Formatting, New Style.

Give your style a name – It should have already pulled in the formats you had selected. At the bottom of the window, click the formats button. Paragraph, Outline Level, choose appropriate number.

Then make sure you apply this style to all the areas of the document you want in bookmarked in the conversion.

Adobe PDF, Change Conversion Settings, Bookmarks:
Click each of the styles you created, and verify the level is correct.

Hope this helps.
Samaba

Samaba, thanks for your reply.

I did what you said. I created a Style called MainTopics and formatted to my liking, I did the Paragragh, Outline Level and selected level one. I applied it to 3 places. My TOC in Word looks fine, but on conversion to adobe, it acted like it didn't even recognize Main Topics as a style and now there are no main headings and all of my sub headings are main headings in adobe.

Also, even though I'm not using Header 1, it still appears in the TOC Print Preview area.

I'm no pro at this Word stuff, so any help will be appreciated.

jodom

Jodom,

More questions I'm afraid. . .

What version of microsoft office?
What version of Acrobat, what updates, standard or Pro?

Which method did you use to create the PDF? The button on the toolbar, the Adobe PDF Menu, File Print, or create from file in Acrobat, etc?

Also, I wanted to verify that you checked the bookmark settings in the change conversion setting dialog box.

Samaba

Samaba,

Word 2003 and Adobe 7 Professional.

Once I was satisfied with the document in Word, I clicked the "Convert to Adboe PDF" button on the Toolbar.

On my first response, I forgot to check the change converstion settings. I'v since corrected that. Now I have Main Topics as a bookmark and it's checked at level 1. I also have Heading 2 as a bookmark and it's checked at level 2.

I then clicked the conversion button and REPORTS is still a subheading of FORMS.

Thanks for your help.

What style is applied to the Reports section in the word document?

Samaba

A style I created called Main Topics. This style is applied to both the FORMS and REPORTS label.

Thanks.

jodom

Is the word doc something you can share? I'd like to take a look at it, if that is possible.

samabamail at yahoo dot com

If not, I'd like to look more into the origin of the word document. Was it converted from an older version of Word? Was it a WordPerfect or other file type?

Try creating a new word document, copying all of the text and pasting into the new document. Does the new one convert okay?

How big is the word document?
How much RAM do you have?
Samaba

Hi,
This may help. In Word, on the Adobe PDF menu, you can select Change Conversion Settings and click on the Bookmarks tab. Here you can select which of Word's Headings (built-in) and/or Word's Styles (your personal creations) you want Adobe to recognize during conversion.

HTH,

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

BlueHorizon,

Thanks for the response, but I've tried changing the conversion settings and it didn't work.

jodo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back