Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Text Box Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianemarie

Instructor
Jul 11, 2001
US
Hello, an .rtf document was sent to us that is in a table format, with text boxes apparently floating over (and across) the table columns. The printed output looks like a horizontal bar chart, basically. I can select cells, but I cannot grab the text boxes. I'm familiar with text boxes and their properties, but I'm not sure what I'm working with here. I suspect the .rtf is the output of a report writer. (We export Crystal reports to .rtf) However, I should still be able to work with the text boxes, and once in a while I get lucky and am able to grab the text box border, but mostly I can't get them. Any suggestions? THank you.

I've had a problem with being able to move objects (pictures, etc.) if the objects properties were set to "Behind Text".

Try this...
Turn on the Drawing toolbar.
Click the Arrow (second item from the left).
Click and drag around the object you want to select.
(Be sure you start the click and drag OUTSIDE the scope of the object or it will not be selected.)
You can select multiple objects by holding SHIFT and click and drag around each object. Use SHIFT for contiguous AND noncontiguous objects--CTRL does not work for noncontiguous selections with this tool.
Also note that when you no longer need the "Select Object Arrow" from the Drawing toolbar, you will need to click it off.

P.S. This tool is particularly useful in making the same change(s) in multiple objects. For instance, if you wanted to change the Size or Fill color in multiple Text Boxes. You would SHIFT-select all the Text Boxes you want to change, then right-click on ONE of them, then select "Format Text Box", and change the Size or Fill color. Voilá, the change was made to each of the selected Text Boxes.

Hey D. Thanks! It worked great. Actually, once I went into the arrow mode, I had no problem selecting the boxes. I didn't even have to draw around them, it just allowed me to grab the borders easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back