Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Table page break problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celeste025

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
I am using Word 97 and have a table. Word seems to arbitrarily page break even though there is still much more room to add rows - in some cases more than half the page. I try messing with the margins and they are all set low (like .8 top and bottom). Ive tried shrinking to one page but the table should be more than one page long - just not broken where it is. There is no page break to delete and if I start deleting stuff to try to get it to move up, it just deletes text. The rows are normal size - each fits one line of text at 12pt. Ive had this problem on more than one document and even when I try to paste the information into new documents. Even within a document, some pages break normally and some way too soon. Im using Win98 and upgrading is not an option for either piece of software.

I had a similar problem with the text of a document once so I will let you know what worked for me with that. It was really irritating and nothing I did seemed to work, thus I was reminded of it when I read your post. This is just a shot in the dark, but let's hope it is the shot you need.

Go to file/page setup/layout tab and make sure that the drop-down box under vertical alignment is set to top -NOT CENTER.

Hope that works.

Thanks for the replies - I checked out both suggestions and both were as they should be. Top alignment and nothing checked on the paragrah formatting.

The only thing I can do which changes the page break is to cut some of the rows off, but then when I paste them back, the the page breaks again and if I paste them back in a different place, the page breaks in a different "wrong" place.

Select your whole table, and then go to Format-Paragraph, click on the Line and Page Breaks tab, and deselect the Keep With Next option, as well as the Keep Lines Together and whatever else is under pagination. Having it selected is what causes the unruly page breaks. I think you'll find this will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back