Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WORD: Set up so it is like typing on lined paper 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garybug

Programmer
Jul 27, 2003
GB
Is there an easy way to do this.. Keeping underline on looks wrong, and creating a table doesn't work, since as soon as you move onto a new line it wraps the text.

I though about creating & using a background and altering the line spacing to match, but that seems like way too much work!

Any ides appreciated..

Ta

Gbug

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Thank you. Oh, and BTW, re: the AutoFormat lines...try putting a graphic image in there. Yeah it can be fiddled with, but mmmmmmmmm, in some formats those lines look VERY attractive. [bugeyed]

Gerry

Gerry, I am a great admirer of your expertise, but I am disappointed (nay, disheartened) by your responses to this thread. [thumbsdown] May I remind all of us that it is one thing to point out A BETTER WAY, and another to call the person's application "dumb" or question its merit. No matter how high, or low (in my case), each one of us sits on the Knowledge Ladder, we should offer possible SOLUTIONS without BERATING the application or the person. Please consider:
* A lot of us on this Forum are not experts and we look to this Forum for HELP.
* A person's application does not necessarily have benefit to all people.
* "Quick" and "Efficient" do not always co-exist.
BTW, I'm still an admirer [love]

Yes, and for the record, dcompto’s solution is the perfect one for my situation.

There are things that shouldn’t be done in Word. When I’m a Boss, I’ll have something to say about how things are run around here. Until then...

I apologize if there has been a misunderstanding.

Do you think I was calling your solution dumb? Nay sir, I was not. In fact, I did not call anyone's "application" dumb, nor did I question the merit of anyone's application, or solution.

True, I gave a critical response to sawedoff's suggestion, but really only for what I believe are practical reasons. Which I carefully listed.

I stated that I believe - and still do - that the concept of graphical "lined paper" is dumb. Nothing more. Further, I also stated that I was quite willing to listen to anyone give a reasonable explanation as to why "lined paper" in a document is a good idea.

So far absolutely no one has even attempted to do so.

May I remind you that even the originator of this post used the words:
One of our idiot bosses seems to think it will look good

I am sorry you are disheartened by my posts. I certainly have great respect for your own contributions here. However, again, I never made any reference to a suggested solution as dumb, or even to the original question as being dumb. It was totally aimed at the concept of "lined paper". For which - if I must - I will not apologize. I still think it is dumb.

I will apologize if you felt offended. I will certainly think about what you have said.

Gerry

Actually....on really really reading back through....yeah...I can see it.

Uh, dcompto...sorry.

Gerry

It is because I truly hate those textboxes. No excuse though...

Gerry

fumei,
I, too, hate textboxes. I just have had to use them in headers and/or footers many a time--especially in placing text/graphics outside of margins or behind the document's body text. I apologize, too, if I misunderstood or was too harsh.

Ladies, ladies.. One relatively simple request generating so much heat!

If it helps, I used the 'background method', and got it to work enough that I could show him the results. He was, on the whole, quite pleased. However when I explained the caveats of not using images, restricted formatting etc. he got the point & agreed to give it a try for a week to see how it goes.

On a wider point, yes, this was an exercise built on one individuals aesthetic preferences - that does not make it a dumb request or not worthwhile (idiot boss or not, he is still quite a nice guy!). Remember that IT is here to enable individuals to work better and it has the power to facilitate their preferences, no matter what we may think of them. Just because we work in one way, and Human Computer Interaction / design rules say that certain methods are better or worse, there is no accounting for an indiviual's way of working, and it is wrong to impose these rules on individuals where it stifiles their work method or creativity. If his way of working makes him more effective surely it is our job as programmers / support professionals / whatever to facilitate that. Are we not a service indusrty, who are ultimately responsible to customers, whose needs we wish to fulfill?

IT will not shake off it's geeky or cliquy image by dismissing 'dumb' requests from non-IT literate individuals. Indeed such requests may even lead to innovation.

Sorry to use this forum for opinions, but as the originator I feel I must respond.

Now, lets all have a nice cup of tea, a biscuit and a sit down...

Gbug

[lol] VERY well put gbug. Kudos. This forum can still allow opinions...and frequently does!

In that vein I will quoye you with one word bolded by me to make my point.
there is no accounting for an indiviual's way of working, and it is wrong to impose these rules on individuals where it stifiles their work method or creativity. If his way of working makes him more effective
And there...as they say...is the rub. That wee little "if". What if it does NOT make him more effective? What if it make things slower, and less accurate? What if it cause maintaining things more difficult for IT support?

My point is that far, far, too little is spent on getting back to people that what they want IS not appropriate. It is not just a question of refusing things. There can be reasons for do not doing things.

I am sorry, but I have been in this for a long time and IMHO opinion the majority - the vast majority - of apparently harmless aesthetics requested are simply bad, or ignorant ideas. The fact is that most people working with systems are still poorly trained. Training is quite often the very last aspect dealt with (if at all). This is my gripe for the "user" side.

My gripe with the "development" side is that most people working with systems are poorly trained to deal with or understand users. They have no concept of what users actually need, and rarely go out and bother to really find out. All too often there are flash whiz stuff flying about that cause nothing but pleasure in developers, and nothing but annoyance in users.

My point was that if there is a NEED for "lined paper" then...by golly, yes it is our task to find a technical solution to satisfy that need. It is also our task to find out, really find out, what our users needs actually are. Not what they think they are.

For example, sure I can actually think of other ways to have the appearance of lined paper. But I have to wonder...is there possibly something ELSE in that work/document environment that truly would make things more effective, or efficient, or sensible?

I would be willing to bet a month income that there is.

My point is that a lot of these requests are distractions from getting systems (either technical systems, or file/document systems) functioning easily with reliable results. All to often we get management requests that are...sorry...dumb. Fortunately I have cultivated in my shop enough respect that I CAN turn a senior managment request back on its ear - as long as I can clearly explain why it IS dumb. It also helps if I can offer something else in return.....

Gerry

Explaining why it’s dumb AND providing an alternative needs to go hand in hand. Just having a reason for not doing something is most often insufficient.

Not all of us have the option of telling a Boss we don’t want to do something just because it’s stupid.

If you know other ways to do this, why not share them rather than go on about why it’s wrong? You’re preaching to the choir.

I’m out of biscuits. And my tea’s gone cold.

If someone asks for 'lined paper', maybe some sort of word form is what they actually want. Worth asking.

It's not a standard usage, and I personally have never come across it except in discussions at this forum. There are also e-mail forms in Outlook and those we do use.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back