Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Registration Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaulana

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
The document properties (Word 97) summary section always lists an old company name. I've changed the normal.dot, renamed it, deleted the old one, and renamed the new one normal.dot, but every time a blank document opens, the old name is still there. My MS Office has that old company name listed in it, but I don't see a way to change it. Anyone got any ideas, or am I doomed to live with this strangeness?

Bob

Kaulana (aka New Daddy Bob)

Maybe a complete Office Reinstall will do the trick?

At a guess, does it pick up the company name when you input the User Name and Organisation during the installation routine. Probably not what you wanted to hear!

Perhaps you could do a search for old company name in the registry, and if it exists, replace it here. Be Careful!!!

B.M.

Didn't Ofc97 also use an INI file? on top of using registry info?

For some reason I think you should also use the "Find Files & folders" from the start menu. type in the OldCompy's name and tell it to search for files containing that text.

if any show up, see if you can edit them as well as the registryfile. AND, as mentioned before, be careful.

Did a search and came up with just about all the office documents and files I've ever made, along with these in the WINDOWS folder:
SYSTEM.DAT
USER.DAT
SYSTEM.NAV
USER.NAV
system.rsc
user.rsc
prebak.reg

I would guess the reg file is a good one to change. I opened the others in WordPad, which left a bunch of boxes and unknown characters floating around, and I could see the instances of the old company name being there. But as for changing, nothing is clear about which one would make the difference, so I'll likely live with the fact that if I want to change the old company name, I'll just have to look in the properties and change it if necessary. Unless someone has surefire information about where I need to go next.

Thanks for your replies so far, too.

Bob

Kaulana (aka New Daddy Bob)

I guess the .reg file is a backup given it's name, and probably won't change a thing. Could be wrong though!

I guess you could have an AutoOpen and/or AutoNew piece of code, which changed it for each and every document from here on in.

B.M.

Well, I must have been thinking Word 95 then. The files you indicated are registry files:

current registry:
SYSTEM.DAT
USER.DAT

current registry copy by Norton AV:
SYSTEM.NAV
USER.NAV

NAV's "rescue" copy of the registry:
system.rsc
user.rsc

Sorry, it appears that you will have to edit the registry as mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back