Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Pro 9.0 vs MS XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opahujo

Technical User
May 14, 2002
US
I have used Lotus WordPro Rel. 9.0 with Windows 98 for several years. Now that I'm using it on a new XP machine I have a problem. Many times when I move or try to change the size of a previously imported picture, the program crashes. I get this message: Lotus WordPro Rel 9 has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. It also creates a "~TSFile" Is there an incompatibility between the XP OS and Rel 9.0?

I don't know about the crashing, but the ~ts file is a temporary one where Wordpro automatically saves a version of the file you are working on. After a crash, when you open Wordpro, and attempt to re-open the file you were working on, it will ask you if you want to open the ~ts file instead.

Given the age of your Word-Pro version, I would suggest you upgrade. You can find dirt-cheap OEM versions of Smartsuite9.7 for about $30 if you look around the web.

Good luck!
Alan Schwartz

Thanks for your reply. Yes, upgrading to a newer version of WordPro is something I had planned. But after reading several messages posted in the IBM Lotus WordPro forum regarding even problems with version 9.8 when used with MS XP, I decided to throw in the towel and switch to MS Word. I'm tired of beating my head against the wall. I'm sure that the problems are there by design.
Thanks again.

Word Pro 9.0 started developing problems for me, too, and I also had to install Approach 97 rather than Approach 9.0 due to "known incompatabilities" (yes, the older version seems to function under XP)

Probably of most interest for UK customers, I was pleased to locate a copy of SmartSuite 9.7 ("compatible with Windows XP") at:-
for about £20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back