Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Perfect 6.1 for Windows Cannot Initialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThornPCC

Programmer
Jan 6, 2000
US
Hi,

One of our Home Transcriptionists is using Novell Word Perfect 6.1 for Windows and when she tries to start it she gets the following error.

Error. Cannot Initialize. And an Ok Button.

We use Macros to automate the program from within another Application. Even when she tries to run it from the Start Menu it gives the same error.

Any Ideas short of re-installing it?

Thanks.

Phil
Thorn@full-moon.com

Most of us go through life not knowing what we want, but feeling damned sure that this isn't it.

It's been a long time since I worked with WP6.1, but I remember that many odd kinds of problems were resolved by deleting the .BIF file and allowing WP to re-create it. I would recommend renaming it rather than erasing it (that way you still have it as a backup). I'm sorray that I don't remember the exact name of the file, nor its default location, but if you do a search, you will find it. Be aware, however, that you will lose any custom settings you have established (default margins, etc.). If renaming it doesn't solve the problem, delete the new one and rename the old one back to its original name. BlackburnKL

Its WPCSET.bif and is in C:\windows!
It is a useful technique, but ...unfortunately does not cure this particular problem.

I am also here looking for the grail on this one - ours crashes when opening certain files at certain times, and more frequently when doing merge operations.

The only answer is a reboot - even logging off or running a Doctor program does not fix it. WP obviously does something on boot up that it does not do any other time.

It is weird and I would love to know the answer - do let me know!!
W

Hi,

I found part of the problem with both Word Perfect and MS Word. Temp Files. For some reason neither program clears their temp files properly. Also, the person had installed Symantec's Internet Security as well. This was preventing her from connecting to the online files needed to run our custom macros.

Hope this helps you as well.

Phil
Phil
Thorn@full-moon.com

Most of us go through life not knowing what we want, but feeling damned sure that this isn't it.

Hi, I had the same problem.
I even re-installed the program and it still would not work. Renaming the w*.bif file worked! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back